What's new

World War II Japanese Soldier Documents

Haydn

後輩
3 Aug 2015
My wife's Great Grandfather came in possession of these documents during the war. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could translate them. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 229
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 190
These two pages are the same. It looks like one of them was cleaned up by photoshop. It's a list of dependents for the Nakata family, names, birthdates, etc. The first date on the document is 1940.
Others will be able to give more details.

Thanks for your reply. I just took these photos from my phone using the original and very fragile I might add, documents. These are original unaltered photos.

Thanks for your reply. I just took these photos from my phone using the original and very fragile I might add, documents. These are original unaltered photos.
You're saying they are two different pages? One must be a copy. Handwriting is the same. Even folds are the same. The most obvious difference is that one doesn't have the stamp mark.

As mdchachi says, its a page from what looks like an old family register. Not of any value unless they are your relatives.

Yes they are two different pages. The paper has the consistency of crepe paper and it's see through. It's definitely not a photo copy but a hand written copy. I'd like to see about getting these back to the Japanese family this would belong too. I know that would be a lengthy process but I feel would be worth trying.

No, that's a photo copy, and not a hand-written copy. As you can see below, they are completely the same.

reference 1.jpg

reference 2.jpg

As mdchachi-san wrote, it's a list of dependents for an extra dependency allowance. The first date "August 18, 1940" was the date when the Imperial edict regarding the extra allowance was issued. The document was written (or submitted) by 仲田栄光 Nakata(or Nakada) Eikō, a teacher of Izena Village National Elementary School, to 新崎寛政 Arasaki(or Shinzaki) Hiromasa, the manager of Shimajiri Local Office in Okinawa on February 28, 1945.

Thinking a little more about this, it must be a carbon-copy, not a photocopy. Given the age and the type of paper it's the only way. And that would explain some of the smudging you can see.

Ah, yes, it must be so. "Carbon-copy" also clearly explains the reason why some strokes written with a weak pen pressure were lost in the picture 1 (stamped one).

Back
Top Bottom