What's new

Wine brand name

Nerunexus

Registered
17 Oct 2021
So here is a weird one. I'm making a special wine at home. I want to incorporate the term Betsubara which I understand means something like, Even though I'm full I have room for .....

Since its wine I was thinking it may need a discriptor like wine, wet, liquid. I hope someone understands my meaning. I'm looking for the kanji way of spelling this so I may use it on labels.

Thank you in advance for your help and recommendations. 😀

So here is a weird one. I'm making a special wine at home. I want to incorporate the term Betsubara which I understand means something like, Even though I'm full I have room for .....

Since its wine I was thinking it may need a discriptor like wine, wet, liquid. I hope someone understands my meaning. I'm looking for the kanji way of spelling this so I may use it on labels.

Thank you in advance for your help and recommendations. 😀
Well it literally means "separate stomach." So like if you said you were full but then accepted dessert and somebody called you out on it you might say "betsubara" to mean "there's always room for dessert." I've never heard this term used for liquids. I get what you're trying to do but don't have a clever solution. Hopefully somebody else can help.

So here is a weird one. I'm making a special wine at home. I want to incorporate the term Betsubara

Since its wine I was thinking it may need a discriptor like wine, wet, liquid. 😀
You want a name for your homemade wine that incorporates betsubara?

別腹酒 Betsubara-shu

Shu (酒) as you probably know means "sake" or any alcoholic drink..

別腹葡萄酒 (Betsubara-budōshu) incorporates the kanji for wine (葡萄酒), but it is a bit clunky and heavy on the stroke-count.

You want a name for your homemade wine that incorporates betsubara?

別腹酒 Betsubara-shu

Shu (酒) as you probably know means "sake" or any alcoholic drink..

別腹葡萄酒 (Betsubara-budōshu) incorporates the kanji for wine (葡萄酒), but it is a bit clunky and heavy on the stroke-count.
Thanks that's a good idea. It's an apple wine I'm making and since I just heard the term Betsubara I thought it was funny and could be incorporated into a cool label.

Thanks for your recommendation

Then, you need to use 林檎酒 "ringoshu" for apple wine instead of 葡萄酒 "budōshu". Ringo means apple, while budō is grape.

I prefer another word order 林檎酒 別腹 "Ringoshu Betsubara". This order clearly shows that Betsubara is a brand of apple wine.

If you don't mind using a longer name, how about a sentence この林檎酒は別腹です Kono ringoshu wa betsubara desu, which means "This apple wine is betubara." i.e., "Even though I'm full, I have room for this apple wine."

I don't think this is relevant for naming, but is 'hard cider' available in japan? And then thinking about that, what's the difference between that and apple wine? Is there one?

Yes, it is, though what's marketed as ハードシードル in Japan is a specific product produced by Kirin (the beer/beverage maker).
Alcoholic cider or "cidre" is available in domestic and imported forms and called シードル.

I'm not sure if there's an actual legal/technical difference, but what I generally see as シードル is a carbonated beverage made from fermented apples with an ABV similar to beer (5%-7%), whereas "apple wine" is not necessarily carbonated, possibly sweeter and higher in ABV (close to wine, so 12-14%).

I enjoy them both, and would be very interested in trying 林檎酒 別腹 if you ever decide to market it here in Japan, Nerunexus. ;)

Back
Top Bottom