What's new

Kanji name

Zeshen

Registered
29 Jan 2015
Hello everybody! Basically I'm trying to find my kanji/japanese name according to the meaning of my original name. Let me explain:

I recently started Japanese lessons at uni and our teacher wrote our names in Japanese katakana and mine is

フェデリコ・ボナト

Then she explained that every Japanese name has a meaning and usually you can write your name in Kanji, especially in business cards. This thing can also be done for foreign names but it is very difficult to find the right Kanji with a similar sound to Federico (my first name) and Bonato (family name, maybe this should be easier). And also if you try to do something like that, you could find something but often with the wrong meaning, meaningless or with a bad meaning or something that doesn't relate with your real name meaning.
So th teacher suggested to try to find out what our names mean and then to try to find Kanjis with that meaning more or less, and get like a Japanese name, even if it sounds completely different to your name, but with your original name meanaing because that's actually the important thing.
So for myself "Federico" means something like "peace/peace keeper" etc and "Bonato" means soemthing like "good-natured person/good person/kindly person/a person born to be good" from Italian "bon --> good" and "nato --> born".
So I found 平和 自然 (Heiwa Shizen) but then she told me, that could be right but it's just a word meaning peace and a word meaning nature. So it's not really a name and sounds kinda weird to Japanese people.
So what I did next was to get some Japanese male names lists with name meaning next to each name and try to catch a name with the most similar meaning to my name. So I found:

First name:
1. 英治 or 2. 真

Family name:
1. 浩然 or 2. 良郎

but then again it doesn't seem to be right (maybe 英治 (Eiji) for the first name) but 浩然 (Kozen) seems to be more Chinese style I think, and I don't even know if in Japan is a name and 良郎 (Yoshiro) is not really a surname but more like a first name right?
So I wanted to know if just 良郎 can be used for my name since Japanese people use almost surnames only or if all the other options I found are right if they are names etc.
And I also I would like to ask if anyone here can help me find my kanji name according to my real name meanings or kinda attribute to me a kanji name with those meaning rather rhan just "translate" it.

Thank you very much!

Yes, those are all given names.
How about 人吉平治 (surname ひとよし, given name へいじ)? 人吉 is very rare, but really exists.

Thank you very much!
Another question: what's the difference between 平治 (へいじ Heiji) and 英治 (えいじ Eiji), meaning-wise?
Because actually I found they are both the "equivalent" to the occidental name Federico (considering Federico means peaceful ruler/peace keeper).

Just for more options:
For first/given name maybe 和守 Kazumori (peace + keep/defend). Or 和夫 Kazuo (peace + man/husband). 夫 is the kanji used for husband, but it is a common component of male names. Or 和男 again Kazuo (peace + man), a very common, some might say boring, name. Apologies to any Kazuos out there.

Yeah, 和 is a good choice. 和治(かずはる)"peaceful + to rule/govern" can be another option.

Thank you very much!
Another question: what's the difference between 平治 (へいじ Heiji) and 英治 (えいじ Eiji), meaning-wise?
Because actually I found they are both the "equivalent" to the occidental name Federico (considering Federico means peaceful ruler/peace keeper).
英 has nothing to do with "peace / peaceful". It means excellent/brilliant or English(e.g. 英国 "the UK"). You misread something or read a free translation or something.

Thank you guys so much! I think 平治 then would be the best option for me.
Now there's the surname left, again meaning "good-natured person/good person/kindly person/a person born to be good". I found something using characters like 生 for birth/life or 善 for goodness/good or 良 but I'm not sure because I'm also trying to find like a possible existing surname with that meaning more or less.

I don't know how to update my last post to add things but anyway

I found this surname 吉本 (よしもと Yoshimoto) using the surname prefix list of this website and lists I found around the internet and I think the meaning is similar to what I'm looking for: Good origin, from 吉 (good) and 本 (origin) and Yoshimoto is an existing surname actually. Is that right? what you think?

If you don't need to use "people", 良元(よしもと) is more appropriate for "good origin". 吉本 means more likely "lucky book".

Back
Top Bottom