What's new

Why Japaneses copy everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

power_of_foot

Registered
4 Aug 2004
Since the US has Disney land, and japan also have Disney land. Everyone knows Disney Land is originated from the US.

in Tokyo, they have Tokyo Tower , abd they look similar with Eiffel Tower in France. They imitated from France.

A statue of Liberty comes from France, and the US has it.
But how come japan copied the same on?

Japan loves everything that is Western thing

power_of_foot said:
Since the US has Disney land, and japan also have Disney land. Everyone knows Disney Land is originated from the US.

in Tokyo, they have Tokyo Tower, abd they look similar with Eiffel Tower in France. They imitated from France.

DO THEY REALLY ??????

France has Euro Disney... nothing to it... no copy, just different..

The Eiffel Tower was a good idea ( by the way, the engineer that actually designed it and calculated it is... swiss, from Basel. Mr Eiffel is the boss of the Eiffel steel factory who manufactured the bits and pieces used for the construction and not at all the creator... in today's world, the "copyright" would not allow such mis-use of a name and non recognition of the author). So what ? there is a COPY of it in Las Vegas, and many other constructions have been based on the original design.

The statue de la libertテゥ, is a present from France to the United states... But there is a replica in Paris, in the middle of the Seine river... so what ? .... hheeemmm unless the original is in Paris (smaller size) and the copy in New-York.... ???

Japanese are not the world champions of copying "elements of the western world".

In Europe, we copy Japanese gardens because they are really different.
In Europe, we copy Japanese technology because it's not such a bad idea...

In a world of "mondialization", exchanges of good things will only tend to make life a little bit better.
NO ??

Also, as far as Disney is concerned, did you ever think that maybe the American company is trying to capitalize outside of the US? ;)

power_of_foot said:

in Tokyo, they have Tokyo Tower, abd they look similar with Eiffel Tower in France. They imitated from France.

LOL!

disney sell stuff in japan, and built that park (I've been there, its not so bad)

most major cities have a tower, tokyo tower is ugly and not very similar to Eiffel

the statue of liberty is in for want of a better word, a theme park. (I was standing next to it once and a kid standing near me asked "honto ni kin desuka?"

japan will copy you AND make your english better

japan copy disney land for U.S no?
and tokyo tower is copies the effiel tower no? imitated france
japan like copy west

do you know my engrish no?

LOL
:D :D :D :D :D

byp said:
Eiffel is swiss
actually eiffel is of german origin. 👍 his family's name was Bテカnickhausen and they changed it to the name of the region were they had come from because the french couldn't pronounce it.

I think the Japanese were forced into the western world especially at the end of WWII. so the new generations just found everything west cool and fashionable. Also the Japanese mentality "Nihon - Ichiban" is one reason why they might "copy" so much! Sony's bosses once said that they come into a new field of technology or whatever and become the best. They want to be the best in everything. 👍 Isn't Tokyo Tower bigger than the Eiffel tower?!!

The Sydney harbour bridge is a copy of a bridge in newcastle (just theirs is smaller, hehe).

The Tokyo tower is not a copy of the Eiffel tower. Have a good look at it, now the Osaka Tower has been credited with being similar to the Eiffel tower.

Calling Disney a copy is a joke, that like saying they copied McDonalds! :D

In this day and age its not ususal for things to have been copied or influenced other things around the world

Sessha said:
actually eiffel is of german origin. 👍 his family's name was Bテカnickhausen and they changed it to the name of the region were they had come from because the french couldn't pronounce it.
PLEASE... do not change what I wrote, thank you
go back to my original post and read again !
I NEVER said that Eiffel was swiss
I never said that Eiffel was french or of any other nationality
I said :
" the engineer that actually designed it and calculated it is... swiss, from Basel. Mr Eiffel is the boss of the Eiffel steel factory who manufactured the bits and pieces used for the construction and not at all the creator... "

That means that Eiffel is NOT the conceptor or creator of the Tower that bear his name.
Wether he is french or german is irrelevant, in this case. What was important was that Eiffel did not invent nor create the Eiffel tower. He was just lucky to have hired an technician/ingeneer who did it for him. That was the only point I wanted to make.

Ewok85 said:
The Sydney harbour bridge is a copy of a bridge in newcastle (just theirs is smaller, hehe).

The Tokyo tower is not a copy of the Eiffel tower. Have a good look at it, now the Osaka Tower has been credited with being similar to the Eiffel tower.

Calling Disney a copy is a joke, that like saying they copied McDonalds! :D

In this day and age its not ususal for things to have been copied or influenced other things around the world
go have a look at corner King William and Flinders, downtown, see what copy it is...
strange, isn'it ?

I'll do that on thursday when I go in. I'm interested to see whats there :p

BrennaCeDria said:
Also, as far as Disney is concerned, did you ever think that maybe the American company is trying to capitalize outside of the US? ;)

Denmark's company LEGO with its 'Lego-land' certainly did with a copy of Legoland in Japan.

:gohan:

:?
US car companies copied the Japanese business model, to some degree.....then there are the cars that all look identical now.....now there are the anime wannabe copies...Disney copies Kimba to make Lion King, copies Laputa to make Atlantis...I think it works both ways..... :D

Lion King

Atlantis is taken from some book or another (I only really read fantasy and sci-fi, so I don't remember the title) that I heard some animes were also taken from. Lion King *is* Hamlet, so while I haven't seen Kimba, if there is a similarity then Kimba is from Hamlet, also.

i think he meant drawing style, not story, brenna.

yeah lion king is hamlet, but with a happy ending.
uncle kills dad, uncle takes over kingdom, son goes away and learns to fight, son comes back, son kills uncle.

I've noticed all (four) the threads power_of_foot has created all have something to do with nagativity of Japan:
- Why Japaneses copy everything?
- I thought Japanese students were industrious
- QUestion (What's the main reason that Japan is suffering from economic depression?)
- Japanese guys are the least popular in the world
What the heck...

Keiichi

:eek:

dadako said:
"honto ni kin desuka?"
right, and for us retards that only know the word honto.. what's ni kin?

i've always just figured the japanese take western ideas and perfect them.. they make everything faster, better, stronger and more advanced!

Everyone copies everyone this day and age.. What does it matter ? Japan does not copy anymore than anyone else does.. For everything you claim Japan copied I could name something someone copied from Japan.. Anime, Electronics, Cars, Movies Etc. Ringu was copied and became a big hit in the states.. Seven Samurai has alot of movies based off it's swordplay and cinematography (Star Wars being one) .. So let's just get over Japan being "the biggest copiers in the world" because it is not true.. Japan does like to emulate a number of Western things, that is undeniable, but everyone does it, so what does it matter ?

Japan! You copy therefore you gain no coins. Good for you.

Whey you want a photocopier, buy Japanese. Who else is better at copying?

They copied Chinese Kanji.

They copy Eastern things too.

In regards to Tokyo Tower being a copy of the Eiffel Tower窶ヲ I admit that there is a likeness, but saying that it窶冱 a copy is pushing it a little. Maybe people think that it is a copy because they think that its main purpose is as a tourist attraction, but that is not true. Tokyo Tower窶冱 main purpose is as a broadcast tower for Japanese television and radio. Sure they窶况e added observation decks to make a profit off of the tourist, but its likeness to the Eiffel Tower is only due to the practicality of that design for use as a broadcast tower. Think about all of the towers (of similar design and on a smaller scale) that you窶况e seen in use atop buildings in most major cities.

I窶况e decided to include these links to some scans of the pamphlet I received when I visited the Tokyo Tower in 窶?9. The first picture shows the tower and the location of all of the antennas. (Be warned that all of the information is in Japanese.) The second picture shows the view from one of the observation decks and also points out some other major attractions in Tokyo. (Again, everything is in Japanese.) Finally, I窶况e decided to link to these pictures rather than attach them because they are large files. Each picture is about 1MB in size. You may want to right click and 窶徭ave as窶? I decided to go with these larger sized files so that you can zoom in and check things out if you want.

Tokyo Tower
View from Tokyo Tower

BrennaCeDria said:
Atlantis is taken from some book or another (I only really read fantasy and sci-fi, so I don't remember the title) that I heard some animes were also taken from. Lion King *is* Hamlet, so while I haven't seen Kimba, if there is a similarity then Kimba is from Hamlet, also.
The book is titled : L'Atlantide
it is written by french writer Pierre Benoit in 1919
Pierre Benoit born 1886 in Albi France) dead in 19629 was a member of the french Academy. He wrote several successfull books.
Very good book

King of Tokyo said:
Everyone copies everyone this day and age.. ......So let's just get over Japan being "the biggest copiers in the world" because it is not true.. Japan does like to emulate a number of Western things, that is undeniable, but everyone does it, so what does it matter ?
you are right ! let's stop. JP is ok
nor worse mor better than any other.

Golgo_13 said:
Whey you want a photocopier, buy Japanese. Who else is better at copying?
They copied Chinese Kanji.
They copy Eastern things too.
stupid statement (excepted for photocopier that are good ones).
European copied arabic writing, too... and if you'r using this kind of writing, your are a copier too...
so you see, there is no end to "who's is copying who"????

jyasutin said:
In regards to Tokyo Tower being a copy of the Eiffel Tower窶ヲ I admit that there is a likeness, but saying that it窶冱 a copy is pushing it a little.
the only likeness is that, the Tokyo tower is.... a tower. and any tower is... a tower.
technically it has nothing to do with the Eiffel tower. the construction is entirely different, and you cannot compare them, excepted for what I sais : a tower is a tower.

Perhaps Laputa was taken from the same storyline? :?
All I know is that the idea of a strange civilization with a girl with a magical amulet that has the power to destroy/unleash great power was the central theme of Laputa, too. 'Course, Ol' Miyazaki probably took his ideas from several storylines, but at least it didn't look too similar to other animated movies out there made during its release. but that's just my two yen :D

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there may be some truth to the charge that Japan copies more things than other countries. Actually, copy isn't the right word, 'import' is more accurate. 'Copy' implies the mere reproducing the same thing over and over again, but in Japan most things that are imported from the west get changed around quite a bit to suit Japanese tastes and needs. Saying that because Japan has disneyland and the Tokyo tower looks like the Eiffel tower it therefore copies everything western is plain idiotic. But if you look at Japanese history it tends to go back and forth between the mass importation of foreign ideas and culture to the sudden closing off of all contact with the outside world. The pattern repeats itself with surprising similarity. Right now we are in one of the ages of openness and importation .

If you look at the early Japanese writings you'll notice that they borrow massively from the Chinese. The Nihongi (written in 697AD), one of the earliest and most important Japanese historical works, is about half copied directly from Chinese sources, with the words of famous Chinese historical figures constantly being put into the mouths of Japanese emporers. This was at the time when the Tang dynasty in China was at its zenith, and Chinese influence on Japan was immense. The early capital cities of Japan, including Kyoto and Nara, were laid out on grid systems that were direct copies of the Tang capital. Architecture, religion, politics and the arts were also dominated by Chinese and Korean ideas, with Chinese and korean teachers given high status in society. While it may have seemed that the cause of this importation was some sort of obsession with all things Chinese, the real reasons were purely political. Reformers wanted to break the power of the traditional clans and saw Buddhism and Chinese learning as a tool to use against their enemies.

Over the centuries however, Chinese influence waned and all the ideas from the continent were adopted and changed so as to produce a fairly unique Japanese 'style'. What is happening today with western ideas isn't any different. There isn't any obsession with the west, just a keen interest in new ideas that can be useful to Japanese society. The main difference in Japan is that it is an island nation that was never colonized by the west and has therefore been able to pick and choose which things it wants to import and which it doesn't. If you look at other asian countries, most of them had western culture forced down their throats at gunpoint by colonizing armies and settlers, which is why a lot of their cultural heritage has been so badly damaged. Japan on the other hand has been able to preserve its traditional arts and culture to a very high degree.

I like the pamphlets. The Eiffel tower gets a mention too, its 320m tall and 7000tons whilst the Tokyo tower is 333m and 4000tons.

Other facts are 140 pots of paint are required to paint it, it transmits 14 channels (9 tv, 5 radio) and has 164 lights.

TwistedMac said:
right, and for us retards that only know the word honto.. what's ni kin?

i've always just figured the japanese take western ideas and perfect them.. they make everything faster, better, stronger and more advanced!

the kid was pointing at the flame at the top... "is that really gold?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom