What's new

What websites are for teaching comprehensively reading aloud katakana/hiragana to young children?

cloa513

後輩
28 May 2016
I am Australian and I live in Japan. My son is 4 and a half and while we have Japanese in the family I would like to be able to complement that with online viewing. Youtube is so limited to the basic set of katakana. For instance nothing on small tsu, nothing on small a,e,i,o,u. Nothing on ha being wa. Nothing on reading downwards. Nothing on small yu,ya,yo.

Here is a good link.

There links in the middle of the page to seven children's stories in hiragana.

Thanks but Crunchy Nihongo doesn't have child style teaching. Getting story books in kana is not hard. The hard bit is helping him understand what small tsu, ya,yo yu is when you have child that can't write neatly and simply doesn't understand the concept of letter size well. He also makes up fictional uses of real words like onsen. As an adult learner, I found teaching materials to be pretty rubbish- the normal kana are covered fine because all that extra stuff including vowel combinations covered poorly.

Here is a good link.

There links in the middle of the page to seven children's stories in hiragana.
Can anyone tell me how I should translate (fashion it -sentence for sentence is not necesary ) my key question for posting on the Japanese forum? I shouldnt have much trouble with the answers.

Youtube is so limited to the basic set of katakana. For instance nothing on small tsu, nothing on small a,e,i,o,u. Nothing on ha being wa. Nothing on reading downwards. Nothing on small yu,ya,yo.
Isn't that because those small kana are not used solely? It's impossible to pronounce them as a single kana. I believe those small kana are provided as a set like キャ, キュ, キョ if the video is decent.
Similarly, particles ハ and ヘ are read "wa" and "e", respectively, only in an appropriate context (i.e., in a sentence), so it's uncommon to practice those special pronunciations as a single kana.

I know. I was trying to ask with trying get the correct terminology? Any chance you can tell or give me hints on how to ask in Japanese.

Also understanding he is e sometimes, ha is wa sometimes, n is ls pronounced three ways and vowel combinations. At his age of course it is just awareness of it existing in written Japanese. Also is 明示的なおしえこと the right expression for explicit teaching.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom