What's new

?? What handgun does the average Japanese police officer use??

Grandpa Frank

先輩
21 May 2003
For the regular uniformed police officer with a handgun, is there a nationwide standard handgun? I have seen the Sig Sauer model in P226/P228/P230JP in .380 caliper listed? Does anyone in Japan right now know the answer, or too complicated for non-gun people to know?

Uncle Frank

I wondered because................

the news about the big stabbings the other day mentioned a police officer with a hangun. Google mentions several guns and special detail police officers weapons, but nothing about a standard hangun for the whole country. Maybe every department gets to pick what they want? I just wondered what the lowly street cop wears when allowed to carry a gun.

Uncle Frank

PS - I would feel safer with a taser gun than a little .380, LOL.

I did wonder about how guns were used in Japan by the police. I got the feeling they weren't as trigger happy as police in America at least. I can see why you are wondering. You're question did seem humorously out of the blue though :D

Konnichiwa Uncle Frank-san and Emoni-san!

Most of all Japanese police officer has a revolver, New NANBU M60 or S&W M37. New NANBU M60 is a improvement gun of S&W M36 and is made in Japan by Minebea co. A 38 caliber revolver is standard police handgun in Japan.

Usually Japanese police officer don't have an automatic pistol. Because Japanese people don't have a gun. Japanese police officer don't need to use a gun in daily life, and they don't need powerful pistol. Revolver is a simple structure and is troubleless, durable, low price. New NANBU M60 is used from 1960.

But some plainclothes policeman has automatic pistol SIG P230. They are the special detective for a vicious crime or Yakuza.

3 銃器情勢

NANGI

Thank you Nangi!

The M60 looks very much like the S&W M10 I used when I first worked as a police officer.

Uncle Frank

👍

Back
Top Bottom