What's new

What does whale or shark taste like?

I tried whale once, and that was a long time ago. To eat it again, I would have to be reeeeaaaaly hard up for some animal protein. Perhaps the meat that I tasted was a cheaper cut of the whale, or perhaps it wasn't properly prepared, but it was awfully tough and fatty -- not quite as bad as bear, but close.

Maybe it would have tasted better if it had been ground and grilled. McMoby sandwich anyone?

--Bob

whale and shark advantages

Bob in Iowa said:
I tried whale once, and that was a long time ago. To eat it again, I would have to be reeeeaaaaly hard up for some animal protein. Perhaps the meat that I tasted was a cheaper cut of the whale, or perhaps it wasn't properly prepared, but it was awfully tough and fatty -- not quite as bad as bear, but close.

Maybe it would have tasted better if it had been ground and grilled. McMoby sandwich anyone?

--Bob
are there like any health advantages to eating whae and shark meat?
if theres like a can of whale meet in the supermarket is that real or fake meat? since whaling is prohibited.

shark looks nice, whale is just is just something i wont eat, because there not enough in the world

Shark - or whale .... ?

Never tried whale meat - although some folks in my family gave it a whirl, in the 1940's, in the UK.

It never became a standard item of fare !

I have tried shark, though ... got some in the 1980's and barbecued shark steaks. Not too bad at all, but I would never call it succulent ! I found it a little tough, and slightly vinegary in taste. I'd be quite prepared to try it again - without doubt, marinating it in something nice would be advised.

Our old dog liked it, though ! ...... of course, he would have eaten the bag too, given the chance .... !

As for whale meat, I've only heard what my mother told me. She had it fried, and just sinewous, was I think what she said. Nothing particular else than the fact thae she was having whale meat! So I would assume that the taste is rather bland from a general gastronomic point of view. But I'd like to try it sometime; second hand knowledge is always vastly inferior to the real experience. Legal whale meat, that is. Any time soon? I hear the whales are becoming a menace in the Eastern Sea aka Sea of Japan...prolly likewise in the Northern Pacific. O, yes, there should be some legal stuff from those caught with a permit....scientific study?

As for shark's fin, not very interested any more. The stuff you get at the Chinese restuarants are very tasty indeed; but I try to stay away from those for two reasons.

1. The rich taste does NOT come from the shark itself, but from the chef's seasoning and thickening of the broth using pasty ingredients. :)

2. The heavy metals in the seawater, in the sharks' system gets accumulated in the cutaneous or dead tissues; I don't want to get mercury poisoning from seeking the pleasures of the palate. It's not worth it for me...hahaha! Sorry to spoil the fun, but it's a danger that everyone should know in this age! :p

So instead of sharks' fin soup I useallly get the sizzling rice soup or just the plain egg soup if I have a choice.

Going back to the shark meat; I never tried it. I'd like to though, nothing against the meat itself! 🙂

well now that I've done my reading in hearing what whale and sharks taste like, I don't think I would eat any of them.

besides, I don't think I would ever eat shark, because its against my religion as a hawaiian

and I would NEVER eat whale, because I think its just so wrong.

*frowns*

but I would eat something else to substitute it, such as pork, chicken, beef, etc.

and again its like the same thing, people do like eating animals because they think it is wrong, which is why you have veggie people.

kind of like going in a circle.

but anyways I'm not going to eat whale nor shark.

Back
Top Bottom