What's new

Question Welfare for foreigners

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
4 Sep 2015
Is the Japanese govt. going to refuse those foreigners that are on welfare their PR and send them back to their country upon renewal of their PR?
By law, the welfare is only for Japanese people ( citizens of Japan ).

@musicisgood, I moved your question to a new thread.

It would be interesting to know how many foreigners are currently on welfare in Japan. As you mentioned, foreigners are basically excluded by law which was confirmed by the Supreme Court in 2014. I wonder if any foreign residents may have been granted welfare benefits before the 2014 ruling (and still be receiving them).

The Supreme Court ruled Friday that foreigners with permanent residency status are ineligible for welfare benefits, overturning a decision by the Fukuoka High Court that had acknowledged their eligibility under the public assistance law. The decision by the top court's Second Petit Bench concerned a lawsuit filed by an 82-year-old Chinese woman with permanent residency who was born and grew up in Japan. The woman applied for welfare benefits with the Oita municipal office in Oita Prefecture in December 2008 but was denied the benefits on the grounds she had some savings.

Japanese law technically states that only Japanese citizens are eligible to receive public assistance. However, in actual practice, foreign permanent residents with no legal restrictions preventing them from working in Japan are allowed to receive welfare payments. In 2011, this de facto situation was upheld by a Fukuoka High Court decision in favor of a 79-year-old Chinese woman with permanent resident status who had been denied social welfare payments by the Oita city government. As of 18 July 2014 the Japanese Supreme Court has ruled that foreigners are not entitled to receive welfare payments.

Source

Anyhow, the reasons for revoking someone's status of residence are (more or less) clearly stated (see below). Being on welfare does not seem to be one of them, unless "the applicant/resident falsified facts and/or their personal history, submitted a false document or used deceit or other wrongful means to attain their status."

This was on tv 3 days ago, that is why I brought up the subject because now they are talking about deportation for those that do not have financial support. Marriage would help not get deported, but no welfare support. There are handicap support for foreigners and this varies per prefecture. Cash support for disabled people of foreign land does not exist and won't it seems like. I don't know about private insurance for disability on the job stuff. Its gets too complicated unless one is personally involved. But I do know a few facts concerning foreigners with no Japanese spouse support what will take place upon certain conditions.

Thanks for a separate thread.

I've received children's allowance from my local ward, which suggests that benefits are available to anyone eligible.

I've received children's allowance from my local ward, which suggests that benefits are available to anyone eligible.
Was that the allowance for school children of age? I think according to what the news was talking about is the fraud that's been taking place with foreigners claiming disability. The law clearly states about foreigners that can not self maintain the financial means if they are claiming disability as their only means of income. That has always been a refusal to renew PR in Japan, but it seems like it was relaxed some time ago .

Of course, if married, one won't be deported unless that person falls under some of the immigrations laws which Thomas just linked.

Last edited:

I would assume that child support and financial assistance for socially disadvantaged people are subject to different regulations. Also, I reckon your children hold Japanese nationality.

I would assume that child support and financial assistance for socially disadvantaged people are subject to different regulations. Also, I reckon your children hold Japanese nationality.
Thomas, you know welfare is even so damn hard for the Japanese to get and this is what probably angered a lot of Japanese when they see foreigners fraud the system. I also know that each city has a different policy for those that have disabilities and there is a 3 level scale evaluation regarding this.

Back
Top Bottom