What's new

Warning! Don't use Japanese text until bug fixed/encoding changed.

PaulTB

Manga Psychic
22 Jan 2004
The Japanese forums are currently set to use iso-2022-jp (aka jis)
<meta content="text/html; charset=iso-2022-jp" http-equiv=Content-Type />
which would be great except that you're likely to get your text mangled by the forum code.

Covered in more detail in
Use of "charset=iso-8859-1" tag in _Japan_ Forum | Japan Forum

Actually "Don't use" is a bit of an exaggeration. "Don't enter Japanese text in iso-2022-jp (JIS)" is closer. You can post using the Quick Reply in other encodings (right click select Encoding->Japanese (Shift-JIS) or Japanese (EUC) or even Western European*). In some browsers (not IE) you can select encoding in Edit or normal Quote / Post windows.

* Sounds stupid - but actually works well on Windows XP + IE, or Windows XP + Firefox.

I have a 'modest suggestion' to make. Somebody* with the necessary technical know how (not that difficult) and with moderator powers (on a temporary basis) could patch-up some of the recent mojibake posts.

Worst case they can be made to stop scrambling the rest of the thread - best case they could be salvaged. (Having looked into this a little I'm not sure I could salvage every mojibake post - but at least some of them could be recovered).

Of course changing the tag to something like
<meta HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=x-sjis" />
is higher priority.

* Yeah, this does count as volunteering. ;-)

I've set the encoding to x-sjis. Will try to convert the mojibake posts later. Thanks for the advice !

Maciamo said:
I've set the encoding to x-sjis. Will try to convert the mojibake posts later. Thanks for the advice !
Wa-hey!

Thank you. 👍

(I guess it's back to iso-8859-1 while you test stuff)

Back
Top Bottom