What's new

Vocabulary for positive and negative blood types

Claiff

Registered
3 Mar 2015
Blood type is a topic that seems to come up frequently in Japanese (pop) culture, but I never hear them talk about Rh factor bloody types (aka "positive" and "negative" blood types like (O negative or O positive), just the basic A, B, AB, and O. When I check jisho.org, the closest thing I can find is "Rh式血液型", which doesn't tell me how to say "O negative".

1. How do you say O- or O+ in Japanese?
2. Despite the popularity of using blood types for personality tests and fortunetelling, do Japanese people have a low awareness or interest for +/- blood types? Or did I just not look hard enough?

A型, B型, AB型, O型

In my experience, Japanese people don't usually refer to (or even know) their Rh type, because knowing your blood type is mainly for the 血液型占い and that's not taken into account.

1)
It's Rh-O型 "アールエイチマイナスオーがた" and Rh+O型 "アールエイチプラスオーがた", respectively.

2)
As nice gaijin-san wrote above, it's the former. +/- blood types don't affect to character-grouping or fortune-telling by blood types.

Incidentally, Rh+/- blood types are relatively well-known at least by a generation. There was a popular TV drama starring Yamaguchi Momoe, a legendary idol/actress. In the drama, she was diagnosed with AML, but her blood type was AB-(アールエイチマイナスエービーがた), the fewest population in Japan, so doctors(her father and uncle) told her that it's hard to get blood transfusions.

Back
Top Bottom