What's new

Usage of を particle marking "locations"

pacerier

先輩
1 Apr 2009
hi all, i was wondering when we use say 川を泳いだ, does it imply that I swam through the river (and went to the other side of the river)?

also, when we say 富士山に登った, does it imply that i climbed Mt.Fuji (and reached a certain location on the mountain),

whereas 富士山を登った will mean i climbed Mt.Fuji (and there is no implication of anything)?

oh, however what may be the primary difference between 川を泳いだ and 川で泳いだ?
川を泳いだ is like swimming across a river to get somewhere. 川で泳いだ is like you were just swimming in the river, perhaps back-and-forth, perhaps just for fun, but with no destination.

川を泳いだ is like swimming across a river to get somewhere. 川で泳いだ is like you were just swimming in the river, perhaps back-and-forth, perhaps just for fun, but with no destination.
That's probably because を泳いだ reminds us を泳いで渡った.
e.g.
ドーバー海峡を泳いだ
ドーバー海峡で泳いだ

But, how about 南極海を泳ぐ or 太平洋を泳ぐ? Hmm, を might sound to indicate a purpose to do something in some cases, as in 百名山を登る, JIMO.

I'll go along with the purpose idea. I probably should have used "purpose" instead of "destination" above, but I guess if you're swimming for fun your purpose is to have fun. That would suggest that the purpose is more focused and serious, I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom