What's new

Issue understanding the の particle's usage in a book title

In addition;
Welcome to IMABI!

Need a little help with this part of the sentence

指揮=shiki=command
下=shita?=below/down/descend/give/low/inferior

1st do I apply the ta from the sentence end to shiki or a later word and is shita the correct reading for 下? I tried looking for a compound reading of 下当 in the app but couldn't find it or is it that 指揮下 is a compound reading itself and is equivalent of commanded? Gonna look them up on jisho.org but on off chance I don't find it I'm hoping you will give me the help anyways.
か【下】 の意味
[接尾]名詞に付いて、そういう状態のもとにある、その中でのことである意を表す。「戦時―」「意識―」
か【下】の意味 - goo国語辞書

Suffix

下 (hiragana か, romaji -ka)

1. under a situation
下 - Wiktionary

Well given no one is telling me I'm on the wrong track I'll assume I'm on the right track with translating that sentence that toritoribe asked me to try so I'll continue from where I left off now.
See the time stamp of your post in JST. It's not the time everyone is awake.

You said lack of spaces didn't bother you, by the way?

Like what?

Learning the kana, if you haven't already done so. Going through online resources which introduce you to Japanese grammar. Passive listening to Japanese speech (television, podcasts, youtube, etc) to familiarize yourself with pronunciation and intonation patterns. Learning some basic vocabulary items. Hunting up the pirated Genki pdf files online to get a head start until you can purchase the text on payday. As much as I dislike pointing anyone to Tae Kim, even reading his guide would be an indefinitely better use of your time than this.

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/grammar_guide.pdf

The whole point of the sentence with over thirty kanji in a row was to help drive home the point of how infeasible your plan to teach yourself Japanese by deconstructing sentences is; there was no expectation that you would be able to actually translate it.

You could have had lots of good suggestions from your very first day here if you had been open to them, instead of being so bullheaded about your plan to learn by deciphering a garbled book. (If you paid for it, get your money back; you were robbed).

Last edited:
Thanks for the links :) As for bull headeness that's simply not true, I posted the methods I tried and everyone just jumped on the bandwagon of dissing me while being only a little helpful. Granted I was set on the right track once it was identified the version of Alice in Wonderland I had was just a ****y with in-proper grammer etc but nagging on about stuff I can't change until payday was less helpful, once was enough and pointing me to all those links in your first post would have let me try them while I wait for payday. As for the pirated copies I simply don't trust them so I won't use them. Finally the app did mention a ka reading but since I hadn't yet finished translating the words I hadn't taken an in depth look at it (which I would've done once I'd one the final word since I could then see where the oddities were occuring of which that certainly looked odd as a word) anyway I'm going to bed in a minute so I'll take a look at those links tommorrow if I get in a studying mood again. Oh as for timestamp thing I forgot about that, I post some feedback to the site developers to add a user option to give custom reminders everytime the post reply button is pressed with a yes/no style prompt asking if the reminded stuff has been checked.

learning via anything other than reading is not an option for me so quit the jackass comments and try being helpful or shutting up,

I'm the type that normally does better when thrown in at the deep end.

I have planned my learning in a way that will work for me.

for now I'll stick with a legitment free method

do us all a favour, DROP THE ATTITUDE or see a psychiatrist.

I'm guessing I'll probably stop confirming every sentence by the 5th paragraph

As for bull headeness that's simply not true, I posted the methods I tried and everyone just jumped on the bandwagon of dissing me while being only a little helpful.

You were more than merely obstinate; you were caustic and abusive. You were so attached to your method and so rude to people who tried to warn you of its pitfalls that it is hardly surprising people weren't knocking each other over in their rush to provide suggestions for other methods or resources.

Nobody dissed you personally. Several people tried to help you. The fact that you resented the nature of the help doesn't make the help disrespectful.

You were more than merely obstinate; you were caustic and abusive. You were so attached to your method and so rude to people who tried to warn you of its pitfalls that it is hardly surprising people weren't knocking each other over in their rush to provide suggestions for other methods or resources.

Nobody dissed you personally. Several people tried to help you. The fact that you resented the nature of the help doesn't make the help disrespectful.

Firstly I never said wouldn't try the methods, only that I will certainly stick to my current as my main. Secondly any so called abuse I gave was in response to abuse other people gave first. Finally I had asked a question at the start of the thread, it is only reasonable to expect that the question is answered before mentioning other ways to study.

In regards the genki series I'll have to hold off until next payday as my mother needed to borrow a sizable sum (£150) of money off of me and I want to buy a 2pc suite from my local charity store while I still have the chance - well if I can talk them into waiting until next payday or taking half now and half later then I'll be able to order the series now.

I would agree with Mike Cash in saying you were caustic to people that were attempting to help you. I may have come off as caustic myself but I ensure you if you took it that way it was not my intent. I've learned a fair bit of the Japanese language on my own and understand the potential pitfalls of your first proposed learning method. In suggesting it was a waste of your time I did not mean due to your lack of ability or desire to learn. I was calling into question the ability of such a method to be effective in any regard. Secondly if you feel an attack is directed at you maybe it's best to clarify first as online interaction doesn't have the most important aspects of communication namely non-verbal communication and tone. Please keep that in mind when you feel people are attacking you or being mean or whatever the case may be. Most of us are simply here to help and by no means want to degrade or discourage the learning process in anyone.

Let's all let bygones be bygones; there's no point holding ill will or keeping on rehashing it.

You might take a look at some of the other links provided above to help productively fill your time until payday.

Let's all let bygones be bygones; there's no point holding ill will or keeping on rehashing it.

You might take a look at some of the other links provided above to help productively fill your time until payday.
I will when I get in the mood for studying again which I'm guessing will be either late tommorrow or late monday

I would agree with Mike Cash in saying you were caustic to people that were attempting to help you. I may have come off as caustic myself but I ensure you if you took it that way it was not my intent. I've learned a fair bit of the Japanese language on my own and understand the potential pitfalls of your first proposed learning method. In suggesting it was a waste of your time I did not mean due to your lack of ability or desire to learn. I was calling into question the ability of such a method to be effective in any regard. Secondly if you feel an attack is directed at you maybe it's best to clarify first as online interaction doesn't have the most important aspects of communication namely non-verbal communication and tone. Please keep that in mind when you feel people are attacking you or being mean or whatever the case may be. Most of us are simply here to help and by no means want to degrade or discourage the learning process in anyone.
Thanks but for future reference please remember to respond to the question first before derailing to another subject however related it may be, it's one of my major peeves when someone tries to change the subject before answerering what was asked. However poor they may think the answer is, it is still better then derailing before answering.

Okay I managed to persaude the store to hold the suite for me until my next payday or until my mother pays me back (whichever happens 1st), I then went and took a look at the genki series prices and found they're simply outside my budget unless I save for a few months. What other textbooks would you recommend from Japanese bookshop JP-BOOKS London - Japan Language Centre (Europe) by JP-BOOKS that are upto £30 (The amount I can afford to spend in the here and now).

Okay I managed to persaude the store to hold the suite for me until my next payday or until my mother pays me back (whichever happens 1st), I then went and took a look at the genki series prices and found they're simply outside my budget unless I save for a few months. What other textbooks would you recommend from Japanese bookshop JP-BOOKS London - Japan Language Centre (Europe) by JP-BOOKS that are upto £30 (The amount I can afford to spend in the here and now).
I already mentioned this post in an earlier reply to you where I talk about textbooks: What's the difference between 'hanase masen' and 'hanashimasen' | Japan Forum

However I think Genki is typically priced and looking at the other creditable alternatives won't help. If you can't afford the books new, then I would recommend looking for them used. Genki ought to be in your local used bookstore, but if it's not there's always Amazon.

I already mentioned this post in an earlier reply to you where I talk about textbooks: What's the difference between 'hanase masen' and 'hanashimasen' | Japan Forum

However I think Genki is typically priced and looking at the other creditable alternatives won't help. If you can't afford the books new, then I would recommend looking for them used. Genki ought to be in your local used bookstore, but if it's not there's always Amazon.
Okay thanks I'll take a look on monday, got work tommorrow and gospel after leaving me little time to relax let alone study

I found a nifty little app called memrise on google play and have been using it for the last few days but recently came across a word whose romaji and furigana differ. The romaji says keiniku whereas the furigana says toriniku and so does the voice readout, is this correct or is it a bug/data issue? (BTW the app says it is for chicken)

Both are acceptable readings for 鶏肉. You will probably find とりにく more common in everyday colloquial usage.

I suspect the difference in the app may possibly come from starting with the kanji and then sourcing the kana and the romaji from two different databases. I've never used it, though.

Both are acceptable readings for 鶏肉. You will probably find とりにく more common in everyday colloquial usage.

I suspect the difference in the app may possibly come from starting with the kanji and then sourcing the kana and the romaji from two different databases. I've never used it, though.
Okay thanks :) I'll return if I find anymore I'm uncertain of

Back
Top Bottom