What's new

Unknown kanji

Dragisto

Registered
22 Aug 2017
hi can someone tell me what this kanji is as i'm struggling to find it.

Attachments

• unknown kanji.PNG
    unknown kanji.PNG
    8 KB · Views: 96
ah thanks what does it mean with を after it cause I'm getting name or designation but that doesn't seem right to me. Is it something like title?

呼称を is just a fragment. The meaning differs depending on the sentence where it's used. In what context do you want to use it?

読者諸賢のなかにはこの呼称を大仰なものだと眉をひそめる方がいるかもしれない。
This is what the sentence says unless I've made a mistake in characters somewhere.
By the way it's the third line in campione.

呼称 means "title", and この呼称 refers to カンピオーネ in that sentence.

Have you studied Japanese or are you just starting in by trying to translate stuff?

Just starting in trying translate and comparing against already translated stuff. Then trying to see where I went wrong

OK then how would you go about it then

If there are beginner Japanese classes available in your area, consider taking them if at all possible. If not, then work your way through at least the beginning and intermediate levels of a proper textbook.

The Genki series is widely recommended for good reason. There are a number of good text books for starting to learn Japanese.

J-E dictionaries only provide the English translation "to frown", that's why I linked the J-J dictionary page.
顰める is just a kanji version of ひそめる.

OK is there a site that's in English I could read to get a clearer understanding of this as I'm not sure how 顰める became ひそめる?

This is an incredibly basic question. It's like asking how did "colour" become "color."
You could try looking up the Wikipedia entries for Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana to learn about the writing system.

I think he was asking why 顰 = ひそ

I think so, too. I agree that the link doesn't answer it directly, but anybody who had planned on learning Japanese through reverse engineering could certainly deduce the answer from there. The information there will do him good, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom