What's new

University Nomination - MEXT Scholarship

Lols

後輩
6 May 2010
Hello everyone,
I'm new in this forum and I hope to find someone able to answer my 1million$ question.
I've been accepted by Waseda University (MA Program) after a double screening process. Upon MA application in late Jan I also had a chance to apply for the Mext scholarship - Uni Nomination. This Waseda grad program allows each year up to 6 MA students and 2 Phd students to be nominated by the school to MEXT.
At this stage I'm into the program, nominated to Mext by the uni but not sure they'll accept me... and I'll get the answer only in the end of June! To late to apply to any other uniツ…
Reading old posts I've found it's pretty rare to see someone got acceptance by Embassy and that got refused by MEXTツ…
So my question is, do you think there's any chance Mext wouldn't sponsor me even I've got recommended by such a "prestigious" uni...? Is there any reason other than the story - find a professor supporting you with your research – that would move MEXT guys to refuse a candidacy? (btw I've got the professor)
On the other hand is likely that this Grad School in Waseda (having agreement with government for only 6 scholarship recipients) decides, after 2 candidates screenings, to foreward to Mext more than 6 nominations?
I mailed them asking about my ツ"chancesツ" to get the scholarshipツ…they said they don't know. But they do know cause they have records! :box:
So now what? Probably just waitツ…
If anyone was in the same worries or is in my situation right now I'b like to share any comment-suggestion.
Thank you.

university recommendation

I don't want to be rude but your question have been answered already in some of the threads here. You said you have already read some thread regarding your situation. It is better to put your question there instead of creating a new one. In that manner, it will be easier to track the developments of each one of us who are in similar situation.

good luck!

I couldn't find anymore the old posts I've read before...
But for what I remember users were mainly concerned about uni selection.
What's really cloudy in my opinion is instead related to Mext people...
I mean, since they usually (maybe!) trust Embassy/University selection, what they exactly do? Apart from the story 'make sure u've got a professor', they mainly check for applicant's criminal records and similar or really put their word into your research plan etc.? I'm really courious because there's plenty of info about embassies tests, criteria, priorities (and of course same thing about unis) but not at all about Mext itself...

I couldn't find anymore the old posts I've read before...
But for what I remember users were mainly concerned about uni selection.
What's really cloudy in my opinion is instead related to Mext people...
I mean, since they usually (maybe!) trust Embassy/University selection, what they exactly do? Apart from the story 'make sure u've got a professor', they mainly check for applicant's criminal records and similar or really put their word into your research plan etc.? I'm really courious because there's plenty of info about embassies tests, criteria, priorities (and of course same thing about unis) but not at all about Mext itself...

i will try to answers this question and someone please correct me if i'm wrong!
you asked what actually MEXT do? well, embassy/uni recommends to MEXT for example 10 people but university is accepting 6 (i'm just saying as an example) then MEXT will choose those 6 among 10 others, so if the uni chooses you for scholarship that doesn't necessary mean you have it, maybe just sometimes when the number of candidates is low...-->i bet pretty rare situation...
so i guess they're checking your records and everything and choose upon it...

Ok, good, this is the kind of answer I was looking for.
This is not that obvious since, as far as I know, things u stated are not written in the application. Well, I'm not sure about embassy cause at least in my country nothing has been written in application guide about number of people selected by embassy > Mext selection...
But regarding universities don't u think it would be a little bit weird that a university has to select someone for a Grad program and scholarship nomination and instead of pick up the 6 (or whatever) guys they believe is right for them, decide to select let's say 10 and than make some government guy choose for them? I mean, research plans, transcript of records, language tests and so on are not supposed to be mainly university concern stuff? For sure they're more qualified for this than some bureaucrat of Mext. I can understand they want to control what some embassy commettee did, but I wouldn't bet about universities job...
Don't u think what they do in the end is mainly check your immigration/criminal records and put a stamp on your paper? (I know my post looks like I already know what I want to hear!^^)

maybe you're right, i don't know, i'm just saying what i think it could be :)
and you're absolutely right about uni knows better what's "good" for them then Ministry but i guess when they have more candidates who are really "for them" they send more applications to MEXT then the number they are accepting, and that's why it's not important who will they choose, and maybe MEXT wants to check all those questions about if you want to come alone or with family etc those kind of stuff which is important for them but maybe not for uni...i don't know, i'm only guessing the role of MEXT...all i know is that when you apply to embassy they DO recommend more applicants then MEXT really approves, i checked that in my embassy. Well...it's kind of hard, i bet it's really sad when you pass the first selection and then fail MEXT...
are you applying through embassy or uni??

ok, sorry, now i see you're applying through uni, well...i'm gonna try that for 2011., for now i'm just looking thru all the options and universities, and i would be very happy if you inform me what was the result when you'll know, i'm so curious...and by the way want to ask you something, do you think grades are VERY important? my grades are not outstanding, they're average, but i have research experience and been involved in teaching at my college and can have pretty good recommendation letters...
and one more question: do you think if they ask 1 recommendation letter it would be mistake to send 2? coz somewhere i was reading that if you send more then they ask..that could cause disqualification...??

Well, that's why I'd like to hear answers from someone who got more info than we did.. I'm sure in this forum there's some 'Mext Guru' wich could answer most of our questions, just hope he decides to show up!^^
Regarding your application, grades are important but fortunately for you are not the only thing which matters. I would focus on research plan. I believe if you try the uni nomination your grades would become even less important (u know japanese uni...). Embassy instead would probably look carefully at your bachelor degree records since it is basically all they have to judge you with respect to your country standards...
And send just one recommendation letter, my opinion.
Bye!

thanks for your reply...
yes, i think some "Mext guru" is around for sure, just hope he will show up :)

ok, good to hear about grades, yes i will try through uni but not "research" program, i would like to try at Master's degree program...anyway...i wish you luck and stop by to say how's the situation and what's going on...

hi Lols

hi lols,

This year i m also the candidate of mext through university recommendation but not waseda.university never will tell you unless u get the mext scholarship.Definately they have record.Better u ask to ur supervised prof. about ur position in the university list that is already sent to the MEXT authority.I am also bit tensed about it.So noway to wait till the last of june even may be first of july.
lets think good for eachother and best of luck.

Hello everyone,
I'm new in this forum and I hope to find someone able to answer my 1million$ question.
I've been accepted by Waseda University (MA Program) after a double screening process. Upon MA application in late Jan I also had a chance to apply for the Mext scholarship - Uni Nomination. This Waseda grad program allows each year up to 6 MA students and 2 Phd students to be nominated by the school to MEXT.
At this stage I'm into the program, nominated to Mext by the uni but not sure they'll accept me... and I'll get the answer only in the end of June! To late to apply to any other uniツ…
Reading old posts I've found it's pretty rare to see someone got acceptance by Embassy and that got refused by MEXTツ…
So my question is, do you think there's any chance Mext wouldn't sponsor me even I've got recommended by such a "prestigious" uni...? Is there any reason other than the story - find a professor supporting you with your research – that would move MEXT guys to refuse a candidacy? (btw I've got the professor)
On the other hand is likely that this Grad School in Waseda (having agreement with government for only 6 scholarship recipients) decides, after 2 candidates screenings, to foreward to Mext more than 6 nominations?
I mailed them asking about my ツ"chancesツ" to get the scholarshipツ…they said they don't know. But they do know cause they have records! :box:
So now what? Probably just waitツ…
If anyone was in the same worries or is in my situation right now I'b like to share any comment-suggestion.
Thank you.

Hello Topu,

Thanx for opinion. I was in fact thinking to ask my supervisor prof. about it... but at this point I think I'm just going to wait while crossing my fingers!
Good luck for your application!

waiting for MEXT

Are we going to wait until July?

I've been told via email that official result will come out by June.

Even then, I've been checking my mail since April :D

I've been very anxious and excited at the same time.

Good luck to all of us!

Are we going to wait until July?
I've been told via email that official result will come out by June.
Even then, I've been checking my mail since April :D
I've been very anxious and excited at the same time.
Good luck to all of us!

i have been told that result will be announced at the end of june or the beginning of july, definitely not the end of july

all the best and good luck to all of us!!

waiting for MEXT

since my the university specifically stated a period of arrival in Japan (sometime in September since class starts in October) for me to avail of the free airfare, end of june or early july seems late.

anyway, it's better than nothing. i just hope it is worth the wait.

Hi everyone!

+ The final result from MEXT will be noticed by the end of June 2010.
(Last year, the final announce was in 8th July.)

+ My application is selected to submit to MEXT through university recommendation and however my ranking is 2nd, not 1st in 5 students. I don't know, I have a chance????? Because my ranking is 2nd 😌

And yours ranking?

the university did not specify any ranking with regards with my application.

they just said that they accepted me in their program and i have to apply to MEXT to get a scholarship.

however, they were confident enough to say (or maybe boast 🙂) that all their recommended students in the last 25 years were accepted by MEXT. I hope I will be one of those students. :D

Hey Budz, so you think unis wouldn't submit to Mext a number of nominations higher than the number they have an agreement for? Like: uni has for example 6 possible scholarship recipients so they don't foreward to Mext more than 6 nomination.
Thanx

Hey Budz, so you think unis wouldn't submit to Mext a number of nominations higher than the number they have an agreement for? Like: uni has for example 6 possible scholarship recipients so they don't foreward to Mext more than 6 nomination.
Thanx

Honestly, I am not sure of what our respective universities do with regards to the number of nominees they recommend to MEXT.

Honestly, I am not sure of what our respective universities do with regards to the number of nominees they recommend to MEXT.

This option is varies from university to university.Some universities slect the students as much as they can accomodate and some universities follow the actual number of students will be there who will be selected by MEXT for that university.

I'm so glad i found this thread. I didn't realize that there are so many of us (MEXT candidates) waiting for the result. As you guys said that the result will be announced on the last June, about ten more days to go. Keep my finger cross, hope we all good luck. ^^

Everyone, I don't get it, my prof. just email me saying my application wasn't successful even I had recommended by university. I feel extremely sad now.

Everyone, I don't get it, my prof. just email me saying my application wasn't successful even I had recommended by university. I feel extremely sad now.

I am so sorry for you Akira, Don`t be sad I hope you get better chance in next year.
You make me very worry, Please pray for me.

I am so sorry for you Akira, Don`t be sad I hope you get better chance in next year.
You make me very worry, Please pray for me.

Next year? I won't try university recommendation anymore, relative low success rate. I hope to try embassy recommendation. I am very down and extremely sad now, I got rejected in the very last stage of it, what can I say? Unlucky? Or I am just not good enough to get it?

Next year? I won't try university recommendation anymore, relative low success rate. I hope to try embassy recommendation. I am very down and extremely sad now, I got rejected in the very last stage of it, what can I say? Unlucky? Or I am just not good enough to get it?

Hi there akira, I'm so sorry to hear the sad news. But I don't get it either, do you mean you had passed the second interview, and got the offer by the university at the same time, and was turned down by the professor? Is there no other professors from the field you wish to study that will accept you?

Back
Top Bottom