What's new

Trying to find old friend in Japan

ToxicVapour

後輩
24 Feb 2017
Hi everyone,

I have an old friend from many years ago that I havnt seen in a long time. He went to University around the same time I went to the Army and I was sent over seas the next following years. My friend went on to meet and marry a Japanese girl and subsequently move to japan and teach English. After my 8 years in the army I got a job in another country. Once that was finished I returned home and have wondered for a number of years what happened to him. From the little info I have he is still in Japan and is doing well. Ive tried all the avenues one would attempt this day and age i.e, twitter, facebook, etc and no luck. Im wondering if its common for western men to up tale a Japanese name when moving to Japan and getting married? Anyway if you have any ideas P.M me, Ill give his name rough year of travel and the area I found he was last.

Thanks.

J.

Japanese are more protective of their privacy than most Americans. Unless they have a strong social media presence, you might as well hire a private detective.

I don't think it's common at all for Westerners to change their names when going to or marrying in Japan. Mukoyoshi is the word for a man who is adopted into his wife's family, when there are no male heirs, only daughters, for a valuable business or property. The Muko usually change his name to his wife's family name.

Japanese are more protective of their privacy than most Americans. Unless they have a strong social media presence, you might as well hire a private detective.

I don't think it's common at all for Westerners to change their names when going to or marrying in Japan. Mukoyoshi is the word for a man who is adopted into his wife's family, when there are no male heirs, only daughters, for a valuable business or property. The Muko usually change his name to his wife's family name.
Thanks, good info. As I know he teaches English over there I was hoping there may be a message board or website allows one to find English teachers by name etc?

Do you not know the names, addresses, or anything else of any of his relatives who might be able to put you in touch with him?

Yes, Ive spoken to his Father but they had a massive falling out in like 2001 or something and my friend disappeared not long after. I found out that his family didn't hear from him for like 5 years after that. Im sure he has started a new life and moved well and truly on as I would be a semi easy find on the net etc. But Id like to at least give him a call say hi and wish him well. Getting back to his family I feel its a touchy subject and I do want to just show up on the door step asking about him etc. His father confirmed he went to japan and and says they hear from my friends wife now and then.

Then it sounds like the father certainly has contact information and would be your surest bet for success. Even if you feel hesitant to ask him to share their information you might try asking him to pass along yours to them instead.

Back
Top Bottom