What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Help Translation Request, Kanji from Old Photograph & Postcard Album

Flyingace

FlyingAce エースパイロット
Donor
Reaction score
We have an old photo and postcard album which contains kanji.
Here are two image scans. Can you please tell us what this person has written?

DSCN5096a.jpg
DSCN5098 01a.jpg

This is a postcard, we are not sure, may be map of radio stations or shrines.
Please advise.
DSCN5098b.jpg

Thank you in advance, and appreciating all of your efforts,
Reid

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
Its a post card from the city of Abashiri, in northern Hokkaido, from 1935. The postcard is addressed to Atsushi Akamatsu (other possible readings for Atsushi). I can't quite make out the substance of the handwriting on the back of the post card. It is talking about something in Abashiri. The post card itself is a promotional post card. The building is a hotel, and the background shows travel routes to Abashiri.

Reaction score
Perhaps that's just me, but whenever i hear or read "Abashiri" the first thing that comes to my mind is the (in)famous non-profit "hotel" where guests stay long-term free of charge. That and (the late) Ken-san's face.

Flyingace

FlyingAce エースパイロット
Donor
Reaction score
Its a post card from the city of Abashiri, in northern Hokkaido, from 1935. The postcard is addressed to Atsushi Akamatsu (other possible readings for Atsushi). I can't quite make out the substance of the handwriting on the back of the post card. It is talking about something in Abashiri. The post card itself is a promotional post card. The building is a hotel, and the background shows travel routes to Abashiri.
Thank you very much for information detailing the postcard.

Flyingace

FlyingAce エースパイロット
Donor
Reaction score
Thank you, Majestic: The first two inscriptions are not from the front of the postcard, they are from the first 2 pages of the photo album; quite possibly the owner of the album.

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
Hello - the inscription meaning doesn't change; it just means the photo album was presented to Atsushi Akamatsu. Possibly by a friend, acquaintance of his with the surname of Kan (or another possible reading is "Suga"). I guess the photo album is a memento of the time Akamatsu spent in Abashiri.

贈 赤松淳君 菅
To: AKAMATSU Atsushi-kun (from) Kan/Suga

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
The last part of the second page says "... departed at 6 pm".

Flyingace

FlyingAce エースパイロット
Donor
Reaction score
the inscription meaning doesn't change; it just means the photo album was presented to Atsushi Akamatsu. Possibly by a friend, acquaintance of his with the surname of Kan (or another possible reading is "Suga"). I guess the photo album is a memento of the time Akamatsu spent in Abashiri.

贈 赤松淳君 菅
To: AKAMATSU Atsushi-kun (from) Kan/Suga

Thank you once again, Majestic.

Top Bottom