What's new

Translation POW-Card

Piedro938

Registered
17 Jun 2021
Can/will someone help me with the translation of the POW map from WWII when my father was a prisoner on Burma Railroad? He survived and we, my mother and brother from October 1942, were transported to Siam after the liberation. We stayed there for a few months and then the men all went back to Indonesia. We followed shortly after and reunited in Jakarta.
1. Please provide a translation of anything written in Japanese.
2. What do you think is written in "Place of Capture"?
3. Is "Mothers Name", is that Pakeshita S or Takeshita S ?
4. "Place of Origin" is it Mogi or Moji?
As far as I know the place must be near Nagasaki.
Thank you in advance for the effort.

With best regards,

Erik Kroese
24-12-1938
Kuala Simpang Sumatra former Dutch Indies

Interneringskaart F.K..jpg

1)
Camp: 爪哇 Java
Name: クラスー フイーワ Kroese F?
Nationality: 蘭 Netherlands
Place of Capture: 爪哇 Java
Place of Origin: Moji(= 門司)
No.: 爪Ⅰ (most likely meaning "Java 1")
Date of Capture: 昭和17年3月8日 March 8, 1942

Other Information
17.10.29 泰俘虜収容所ヘ移管ノ為出発ス
October 29, 1942, departed for Thai POW camp for transfer

18.1.4 〃ヘ移管
January 4, 1943, transferred to Thai POW camp

昭和20年8月30日 バンコックニ於テ聯合国軍ニ引渡ス
August 30, 1945, handed over to the Allied Forces in Bangkok

2)
It's "Java", as I wrote above.

3)
If "mother" is Japanese, it's the latter. Pakeshita is not a Japanese family name.

4)
It would be Moji. The direct distance between Moji and Nagasaki is approximately 160km. I don't know if it's "near" or not, though.

Ah, yes, it indeed could be 長崎県西彼杵郡茂木町 Mogi Town, Nishisonogi District, Nagasaki Prefecture at the time. Mogi town is 長崎県長崎市茂木 Mogi, Nagasaki City, Nagasaki Prefecture, i.e., an area in Nagasaki city as a result of the merger into the city now, so it's no doubt "near Nagasaki".

Dear Toritoribe and mdchachi,
Thank you very much for your help. Despite the fact that Pakeshita does not appear to be a Japanese family name, she was indeed a Japanese woman. My grandfather, in consultation with her, picked up his son Frits at the age of 4 from Mogi Town. Both stayed in the Indies for 1 or 2 years and after that my grandfather went on leave to the Netherlands. My father ended up in Nijmegen with a family that had several Indonesian children under their "wings".
During holidays, my father was a guest of uncles and aunts and in this way got to know his cousins.
My parents asked my Japanese grandmother, it was then a legal requirement, for permission for their marriage.
My father was then sent cufflinks. He has worn these regularly. Now they are in my possession.

Now I have to figure out how the transport took place between 17.10.28 and 18.1.4. by ship directly from Java to Thailand or from Java via Singapore to Thailand. His name does not appear on the ship lists I found.
Again thanks a lot!

With best regards,

Erik Kroese

Still one question:
Place of Capture.jpg

The handwritten text Bandung-?Ken-?gun-shi does this mean something to you? The illegible part in brackets will probably be a street name because of the Dutch word "weg"

Despite the fact that Pakeshita does not appear to be a Japanese family name, she was indeed a Japanese woman.
As I already answered in my previous post, that's exactly why her name would be Takeshita, which is a common Japanese family name.

The handwritten text Bandung-?Ken-?gun-shi does this mean something to you?
Ken (県) refers to a local administrative division "regency (kabupaten in Indonesian)" in Indonesia, so it would refer to Bandung Regency. Gun is district (kecamatan) and shi is city (kota).

3)
If "mother" is Japanese, it's the latter. Pakeshita is not a Japanese family name.

Then it will have to be Takeshita because that is a Japanese surname isn't it?

That's exactly what I meant. You asked "3. Is "Mothers Name", is that Pakeshita S or Takeshita S ?" in your initial post, so I answered "it's the latter", i.e., "Takeshita S".

Back
Top Bottom