What's new

Translation help

Emming

後輩
31 Oct 2013
Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone can help me translate the text in these photos. It would be much appreciated.
Thank you! Not sure why they are posting sideways.
photo-2.jpgphoto 2 (1).jpgphoto 1 (1).jpgphoto 3 (1).jpg

縱一尺五寸五分 横二尺二寸八分
佐州相川石亝 藏弆
tate isshaku gosun gobu, yoko nishaku nisun hachibu
Sashū Aikawa Sekisai zōkyo
length 1 shaku 5 sun 5 bu (approximately 47.0cm), width 2 shaku 2 sun 8 bu (approximately 69.1cm)
Owned by Aikawa Sekisai in Sado Province

縱二尺八寸 横八寸
東軒藏弆
tate nishaku hassun, yoko hassun
Tōken zōkyo
length 2 shaku 8 sun (approximately 84.8cm), width 8 sun (approximately 24.2cm)
Owned by Tōken

新?
(I can't decipher the second kanji.)

新星不知姓氏能墨畫人物雜畫(I'm not so confident about the second kanji.)
Shinsei seishi wo shirazu. Bokuga jinbutsu-zatsuga wo yoku su.
It's not known who Shinsei is. He/She is good at ink painting and human figure painting.

Last edited:
Thank you so much. This is what I'm trying to decipher but it isn't making any sense to me! Do you have any clue what it could mean?
photo (17).jpg

竺筝宗寅和尚住妙心寺大輝宗暹法嗣天正慶長間人雪洞同時人
Chikushō Sōin Oshō wa Myōshinji ni sumu. Daiki Sōzen no hassu nari. Tenshō Keichō kan no hito nari. Setsudō mo dōji no hito nari.
Buddhist priest Chikushō Sōin lived in Myōshin Temple. He was a pupil of Daiki Sōzen. He was a man in between Tenshō and Keichō period. Setsudō also lived in the same era as him.

竺筝宗寅和尚住妙心寺大輝宗暹法嗣天正慶長間人雪洞同時人
Chikushō Sōin Oshō wa Myōshinji ni sumu. Daiki Sōzen no hassu nari. Tenshō Keichō kan no hito nari. Setsudō mo dōji no hito nari.
Buddhist priest Chikushō Sōin lived in Myōshin Temple. He was a pupil of Daiki Sōzen. He was a man in between Tenshō and Keichō period. Setsudō also lived in the same era as him.

Can you see any name or signature on the picture that would tell me who it is by?

Thanks

What you posted are pages of a kind of an art reference book. The sentences are explanations about the pictures on each page. (That's why they contain the information about the original print such like the size or owner.) There are seals on the page, e.g., 雪洞 Setsudō, but they are the ones for the original print, not the page you posted.

Back
Top Bottom