What's new

Tokyo residents bidding farewell to the capital

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
The Guardian on Tokyo's shrinking population: 2021 was the first year that saw the number of inhabitants in Japan's capital decline. The Coronavirus pandemic has convinced many people to try their luck elsewhere. Rural communities and the Hometown Return Support Centre, a nonprofit, help people relocate to the countryside.

[...] according to Takahashi, would-be emigrants from big cities cite quality of life, childcare services and the cost of living more frequently than teleworking in explaining their desire to start a new life in the regions. Changes in Japan's economy had encouraged more people to leave the capital, he said. "During the postwar years, people dreamed of living in Tokyo," he said. "Japan achieved its economic transformation, but in the 30 years since the bubble burst, life is more uncertain and Tokyo has lost some of its attraction. Now more people dream of leaving." Takahashi believes the "goodbye Tokyo" trend will continue long after the pandemic has ended. "In the past, work was all that mattered, but now families are thinking about their living environment, too. People's values have changed."

"Areas in the suburbs of Tokyo were conspicuously popular in 2020, but other destinations around the country gained popularity in 2021," a representative said. Particularly popular were prefectures whose governments worked with municipalities to help arrivals through fairs and other consultation events. Opinions from people who have actually settled in those communities also work in their favour, the representative added.

Here are the most popular prefectures for relocation:
  1. Shizuoka Prefecture: the most popular relocation destination for the second straight year
  2. Fukuoka Prefecture
  3. Yamanashi Prefecture
  4. Nagano Prefecture
  5. Gunma Prefecture
  6. Hiroshima Prefecture
  7. Miyagi Prefecture
  8. Gifu Prefecture
  9. Tochigi Prefecture
  10. Kanagawa Prefecture
  11. Yamaguchi Prefecture
  12. Kagoshima Prefecture
  13. Kyoto Prefecture
  14. Kumamoto Prefecture
  15. Niigata Prefecture

Though we are not living in Tokyo, we have often pondered moving to the country, for various reasons. Hm, more food for thought...

Link:

I live in Fukuoka from Tokyo for these two years, too.
I did a final income tax return this month in the tax office of Tokyo in e-tax.
As there is still the resident's card in Tokyo, I pay the local government of Tokyo residence tax.

The Guardian on Tokyo's shrinking population: 2021 was the first year that saw the number of inhabitants in Japan's capital decline. The Coronavirus pandemic has convinced many people to try their luck elsewhere. Rural communities and the Hometown Return Support Centre, a nonprofit, help people relocate to the countryside.

Here are the most popular prefectures for relocation:
  1. Shizuoka Prefecture: the most popular relocation destination for the second straight year
  2. Fukuoka Prefecture
  3. Yamanashi Prefecture
  4. Nagano Prefecture
  5. Gunma Prefecture
  6. Hiroshima Prefecture
  7. Miyagi Prefecture
  8. Gifu Prefecture
  9. Tochigi Prefecture
  10. Kanagawa Prefecture
  11. Yamaguchi Prefecture
  12. Kagoshima Prefecture
  13. Kyoto Prefecture
  14. Kumamoto Prefecture
  15. Niigata Prefecture

Though we are not living in Tokyo, we have often pondered moving to the country, for various reasons. Hm, more food for thought...

Link:

I'm surprised Saitama isn't on the list. Maybe it's not far enough to be considered.

200.gif
At my age , I want to live as close as possible to a good hospital.

Change (1996-2018) of the number of the doctors per population.

As for the doctor, there is much West Japan.
The Meiji Restoration seems to be related for a reason.

There is a shortage of doctors around Tokyo such as Saitama, Tochigi, and Kanagawa.

200.gif
I had a patient for about a year. The first day with him , I noticed a stack of mail from the IRS , all unopened. For the whole year with him , he got a notice almost every week with threats of punishment. He said trash them , they were just bull. As far as I know , until the day he died , the IRs did nothing but send the notices and there were no punishments. From what I hear , they are way understaffed and behind a year or two on most things. I think I would ignore them and take my chances nothing would happen.

I live in Fukuoka from Tokyo for these two years, too.
I did a final income tax return this month in the tax office of Tokyo in e-tax.
As there is still the resident's card in Tokyo, I pay the local government of Tokyo residence tax.

Nagashima san, did you choose to live in Fukuoka or were you posted there?

This could be great for taking care of family. I worry about my wife's parents who are getting older and I took their daughter to the other side of the planet. Even just a week ago they offered me land and a house across the street. I don't work for that company three companies ago and there is no office in that area now.

That hous is 3305 square meters or the lot? My house in the US is fairly large and is 411 square meters or 124 tsubo much larger than our families Kyushuu (Nagasaki-ken) house even family in Fukuoka ken don't have a house that big that I have seen.

That's about the same size as 二の丸御殿 (Ninomaru Palace within Nijo Castle). Maybe his ancestors were 大名.

View attachment 86052 I had a patient for about a year. The first day with him , I noticed a stack of mail from the IRS , all unopened. For the whole year with him , he got a notice almost every week with threats of punishment. He said trash them , they were just bull. As far as I know , until the day he died , the IRs did nothing but send the notices and there were no punishments. From what I hear , they are way understaffed and behind a year or two on most things. I think I would ignore them and take my chances nothing would happen.

True, they are. October 19, 2019 I sent in a wrong paper. Benefits Planner: Retirement | Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) | SSA
The US Embassy in Tokyo contacted me and said / educated me a little about WEP. I actually never know anything about. So now because Kokumin Nenkin is taxed by the US IRS, the amount I owe will now be taken out of my Social Security. I know there are some Americans here that probably know more about this then me.

I am so lucky my wife does the taxes and not me. We have been using TurboTax for about 15 years and never had any issue so far. When we first got married , I bought a lot of stocks & bonds but got rid of them just because they made doing taxes more difficult to me.

True, they are. October 19, 2019 I sent in a wrong paper. Benefits Planner: Retirement | Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) | SSA
The US Embassy in Tokyo contacted me and said / educated me a little about WEP. I actually never know anything about. So now because Kokumin Nenkin is taxed by the US IRS, the amount I owe will now be taken out of my Social Security. I know there are some Americans here that probably know more about this then me.
The tax treaty prevents double taxation so I guess the reason you have to pay the U.S. is because your nenkin isn't taxed by Japan?

The tax treaty prevents double taxation so I guess the reason you have to pay the U.S. is because your nenkin isn't taxed by Japan?
Since the Embassy doesn't give out tax information, I think you are right. So all this back taxes will now come out of my Social Security. I'll know soon when the Embassy sends back my Certificate of Nenkin.

Back
Top Bottom