What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Tokyo: eateries finally smoke-free

bentenmusume

やれやれ
Contributor
Reaction score
I found a Japanese source:

According to this, the ban does not apply to existing individually-owned establishments less than 100 square meters in seating area and with less than 50 million JPY in operating capital.

These places are allowed to remain smoking-acceptable at the owner's discretion provided signage is prominently displayed.

Maybe the old shitamachi dude wasn't breaking the law after all. In any case, he has my support.

Last edited:

mdchachi

Reaction score
I think the small family run establishments are still free to allow smoking even without an extra smoking box.

Mark of Zorro

先輩
Reaction score
According to this, the ban does not apply to existing individually-owned establishments less than 100 square meters in seating area and with less than 50 million JPY in operating capital.

Thanks. I don't read kanji well enough to get anything out of the posted article.

But you have to ask yourself why they included operating capital in that. There is zero relevance so I suspect its just another noose or ploy of some kind. I have no idea what a typical figure for operating capital would be for such establishments. But I do know that land value estimates are crazy high in Tokyo.

Top Bottom