What's new

Tokyo Advice

Remixer

先輩
31 Dec 2008
Hey there,

I plan on living in Tokyo for a while in the second half of next year.

As such, I would appreciate it very much if you guys could advise me on the following:

- Good Restaurants (do not care about price level, as far as I'm concerned whether it's a street shop or four-star restaurant, as long as the food is excellent, I will go there to eat)

- Business Lounges in Tokyo, where one can go with his Laptop, enjoy a nice cup of latté macchiatto, be connected to wireless internet and go after his work in a quiet public environment.

- Muay Thai Dojo. I'm planning on staying there for several months, as such I can't neglect training. :)

- Parks in the Tokyo area where one can lay/sit down and enjoy the scenery, if there is one.

I don't care where in Tokyo those places are, and it shouldn't be a problem for me to get there since I will arrange a driver for my stay. :)

Thanks in advance for any tips. :)

Cheers

Remixer

When I visited, I went to this great restaurant in Roppongi called Azool. It's not too tricky to find (but I would suggest looking up the address online versus asking me where it is, though it's almost in a straight line walking from the station).
I would really recommend it, the food was delicious.

Cheers Makularamu :)

I'll be sure to check it out and visit it at least once.

As my first post probably suggests, I'm asking for advice to have some sort of idea where to go for what in my everyday life when I live in Tokyo.

Again, any advice will be greatly appreciated :)

Remixer

You have living arrangements already sorted out? I guess if you're hiring a driver you aren't too worried about expense. Just remember that the tourist visa is only good for 90 days.

As for restaurants, they can be found all over. Is there a particular type of cuisine you're looking for? Any other sights you want to see or activities you want to try?

Yeah, I do have my living arrangements sorted out already. A driver I will organize shortly before I depart to Tokyo from Dubai.

I'll be living here: ptroppongi dot com/eng/

Please understand, that I will not point out which exact Apartment it will be. :)

I don't have a problem with a 90 Day Visa limitation per entry, as it's more than unlikely that I will stay for more then a couple of weeks at a time in Japan. Altogether I plan to live in Tokyo for approximately 4 months.

I enjoy Italian cuisine and international buffets the most, but when in Japan, I can't possibly pass up on going to a very nice Restaurant featuring Japanese cuisine. If there is a renowned ramen shop in Tokyo, or anywhere in Japan really, I'd love to go to it and taste their food. :)

Maybe it will help if I describe what I intend to do:

My "base" would be my Apartment in Tokyo, from where I aim to scout Tokyo and Japan's cultural side in a very intense manner, probably being on the move for at least 8 hours a day, to take in as much about Japan as possible.

This will also involve very frequent trips to rural areas.

So all in all, my request isn't limited to Tokyo per se, but the main focus of it is for me to attain some sort of idea where I can go after my main interests (Good Food and Muay Thai) and take care of my professional life (Business Lounges).

I hate staying at one place for too long. :)

Remixer

One of my favorite restaurants in Tokyo - http://metropolis.co.jp/tokyo/443/restaurants.asp

But really, I've had so few bad meals in Japan. Great country for food. For top dollar food, pick up a Michelin guide. Tokyo has more stars than Paris, so you'll find some darn good food there.

For me, the best park for hanging out and perhaps napping on the grass would probably have to be Shinjuku Gyoen. It's a 100 yen entry but the park prohibits pets. Relaxing place. Also, I like just hanging out on the lawns near Meiji Shrine.

Thanks for the tips, tigermilk. :)

Do you by any chance know if the Michelin Guide you mentioned is available outside Japan?

I'll certainly check out the Shinjuku Gyoen. :)

Remixer

The guide should be. It is available from Amazon, and they'd ship anywhere. The 2008 is currently out, and the 2009 guide looks like it will have a March 09 release date.

Nice. Will definitely order the 2009 Michelin Guide. :)

Are there any other people who also have some tips they would share with me? :)

Remixer

If you don't have any issues with communal bathing, I highly recommend visiting Onsen (hot spring).

Onsen
there are some guides for how to use the facilities. There are also a few lists of onsen throughout Japan, but it's far from complete. That said, Hakone (southwest of Tokyo and Yokohama) is a famous spot for onsen, definitely something to look into. You can also do your own searches.

You could easily spend a good amount of time in any number of sub-sections of Tokyo, or other cities as well (90 days is a long time to stay in one place, and there's a lot more to see than just Tokyo).

Within or around Tokyo:
Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku, Ginza, Roppongi, Odaiba, Kichijouji, Ueno, Asakusa, Akihabara, Ikebukuro, and Tokyo station (Please note that these are just a handful of stops on the train lines, and you can learn about each of these spots by doing a simple internet search). My recommendation, since you have so much time, is to forgo the driver for a while and take the train around town instead. You'll learn and see so much more by riding public transportation like the locals, and you can pick a couple spots a day and do some real in-depth exploration of the city. You may even find things none of us had known about. Tokyo is really a pedestrian's city; you will see much less from a car.

Mount Takao is a good hike (west of Tokyo, in the direction of Hachioji).

Just a few places outside Tokyo (but still on the main island) where there's plenty for a tourist to do: Yokohama, Hakone, Nikko, Mt. Fuji (fujikyuu is a great theme park), Kyoto, Nara, Osaka, Kobe, Hiroshima. I haven't spent enough time north of Tokyo to really recommend many places.

hope that gives you some ideas. Really, you have plenty of time to check out all of these places and experience a part of Japan for yourself.

There's a decent greek place just off waseda-doori near takadanobaba station (pretty cheap too ;)

Also, if you like Indian food then Raj Mahal in Roppongi has great stuff and the atmosphere is pretty relaxed too. I really like their "open kitchen" as well.

Cheers guys :)

That's some awesome advice you have given me. It will come extremely handy.

Yeah, I always wanted to try an Onsen. Thanks for the tips in that regard without me even asking for it. :)

I still need to find some advice on a good Muay Thai Dojo and well-serviced Business Lounges.

If anyone has any more advice that would be useful for me when shared, please do share it with me. :)

Thanks in advance.

Remixer

There are lots of Korean BBQ restaurants in Azabujuban area. (Yakiniku restaurants)
It is called "Korean", but the style of the restaurants is quite Japanese, and local Tokyo people like it very much. Probably you will like it too.

Tokyo is not only for Japanese restaurants but also for Chinese, Italian, French and so on.
A website called Tabelog (食べログ) shows nice restaurants with feedbacks by Japanese users. (The website is in Japanese though...)

Although it is good that you can spare money for world-class cuisine, I would also suggest you to just go and wander about in the streets and go in a mom and pop restaurant or a small soba stand. It is cheap and that's what makes trips more adventurous(sp?).
While in Rome, do as the Romans do...

Mauricio

Not sure what the characteristic of Korean cuisine is, as I never ventured to restaurants with that kind of cuisine, but I will definitely give it a go. Thanks :)

In regards to Glenski: Yeah, it isn't something I can complain about. I've made and still make good financial decisions. For some it unfortunately is harder than for others.

Although it is good that you can spare money for world-class cuisine, I would also suggest you to just go and wander about in the streets and go in a mom and pop restaurant or a small soba stand. It is cheap and that's what makes trips more adventurous(sp?).
While in Rome, do as the Romans do...
Mauricio

Yeah, I agree with that completely. I mentioned in my first post above, that I do not care how much the food costs as long as it tastes good.

I really want to try one of those on-the-streetside mobile ramen shops. If anyone can give me advice on renowned ones or from your own experience, it would be much appreciated. :)

Cheers

Remixer

Yeah, it's the best thing of travelling. What I suggest you to do is, once you know Tokyo a little bit and how to use the train system is just go and take a train to a random station and get out and get lost and just wander around in there. Many of you will laugh at my advice but it does for a good and fun experience.

Not sure what the characteristic of Korean cuisine is, as I never ventured to restaurants with that kind of cuisine, but I will definitely give it a go. Thanks :)

I don't really know much about Korean food, but while I was in Japan, many Japanese people ate a lot of something called Kimchi, which is like lettuce and readdish topped with red spicy sauce. It's very good.
The other thing about Korean food are the Yakiniku restaurants. These places have a gas grill on your table and you order the raw flesh and cook it yourself. It's really good. Probably the best food and culinary experience I had in Japan.

Mauricio

What I suggest you to do is, once you know Tokyo a little bit and how to use the train system is just go and take a train to a random station and get out and get lost and just wander around in there. Many of you will laugh at my advice but it does for a good and fun experience.

That is an absolutely great idea.

I am a very curious person anyway. I would really love to see where such a ride would take me and get to know a multitude of areas.

Trial and Error approach is the best. :)

Cheers

Remixer

If there is still anyone out there who has tips on Eatery, Muay Thai Dojos and Business Lounges in Tokyo, please share it with me.

Cheers :)

Remixer

I have not read all the replies here but would suggest the following restaurants...

bourbon street in roppongi (cajun food); the owner sohan has a great personality and livens up the place...for extremely high end ryugin again in roppongi; but on a quiet side street; has two michellin stars; amazing creations foodwise

everyone bashes Nobu but i am a fan; its now in kamiyacho area...plus its very easy to get a table unlike new york or london...

for a casual afternoon coffee at the weekend; a lot of ex-pats head to las chicas in omotesando; reasonably prices dishes...although the service can be a bit hit or miss its nice to sit outside on the terrace in the sun

So how are you finding Tokyo now Remixer? Chotto atsui desu ne?!

Hahahaha. :D

Unfortunately, I will not end up in Tokyo for one more year, as business activities have gotten extremely busy.

Instead, I am planning on staying in Tokyo for 4 months at the end of 2010.

About the heat... well, I am in Dubai right now and we have a cool 47ツ≫?ケ Celsius.

I doubt Tokyo can beat the heat over here. :D

Cheers

Remixer

Back
Top Bottom