What's new

General advice re: moving to Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I just wanted to point out, is the nasty tone of some comments on this forum - there are many ways things can be communicated. I also don't like when people are treated as dumb-asses
You are way overreacting to an innocent remark Mike made, and you owe him an apology. All he said/suggested was that you use a public telephone. Zero malice in the thought, and no "tone" to it that anyone else could see here (otherwise, you'd be getting a lot more support for that).

Apologize.

- I'd like to assume people do try to find out things themselves, make phone calls, etc, but like to additionally also ask things on this forum, or ask before they can confirm the information officially.
That's your prerogative, of course, but there is no harm whatsoever in making the phone call suggested earlier. Zero. Zip. Nada. Your quest for knowledge is almost an obsessive overkill.

From Mike:
It would be nice if gaijins could quit acting like all knowledge and information in Japan is mysterious and unobtainable and just do what any adult would do in their home country with any question regarding a matter under the purview of City Hall
Having been here almost 2 decades, I have to agree.

Communicating about these things on online forums is just perhaps a less hassle-free way of finding out information, before getting to the core of actually doing the things, checking other people's experiences, preparing one-self etc. Maybe you feel it's un-necessary or annoying, but I think it's only positive people try to find out information, in any way they can. It's then everyone's own responsibility to find out if what they read is accurate.
I can see the viewpoint of wanting someone's personal experience, but this was a time when it was pretty much not needed. In essence, the "hassle-free" aspect only wastes time and by definition creates more hassle.

- Asking from the forum might be a lot quicker than me quitting everything else I'm doing and taking a stroll few blocks to the nearest public phone to call.
Let's see. You posted on this forum at 3:24 today and spent how many hours doing that, when the stroll would take a few minutes. What was quicker?

Also my Japanese isn't that fluent, so I might struggle on the phone.
I thought you were married to a fluent Japanese speaker (who could make the call for you).

- Sure, I could ask my husband to call on my behalf, but he is working until midnight and don't want to bother him with this kind of stuff while he's busy at work.
This is just plain silly. What was the rush to get the info that you couldn't wait until he was home and discuss what to do?

One thing I really like about the Japanese is that they do try to help and be friendly,pretty much in any case, anywhere, even if they are not sure of the answer or do not know for certain.
Apparently, you don't think this applies to your husband...?

Just so you don't think I'm one of those who are just here to argue or to give you a "tone"...
To all foreign nationals residing in Japanツ Beginning on Monday, July 9, 2012,ツ Start of a new residency management system!
...for future reference.

I do not like the turn this thread has taken. If members intend to help one another then please do so without patronising those who ask a question or don't do it at all!

We shall never restrict members seeking information even if they could just phone whomever or whatever is deemed more appropriate by others.

This thread is closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom