What's new

Time to buy a new bicycle

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
4 Sep 2015
I usually go through a bicycle after changing tires 2 times and brakes. Just not worth putting any more money into it. So last year I gave it the collection guy for metal.
The bikes at NAFCO have doubled in the last 25 years. I usually get the mountain bike or ATB with the front basket (handy actually to have) and with the light that works off the front wheel. (no battery) But I don't see them for sale anymore.
Any suggestions on where I should start looking. ASAHI bike shop is way too expensive even for Chinese imports. Never checked into it, but how about online?

At supermarkets or larger bike stores, they sell mamma-charis starting at ¥ 10,000. That's less than an average saddle or a set of tyres for a road bike!

Where are you going to use your bicycle - only road, off-road? For commutes or for leisure/sports?

And what's your budget?

At supermarkets or larger bike stores, they sell mamma-charis starting at ¥ 10,000. That's less than an average saddle or a set of tyres for a road bike!

Where are you going to use your bicycle - only road, off-road? For commutes or for leisure/sports?

And what's your budget?

Hi Thomas, thanks for replying.
I'm not familiar with the word "mamma-charis" bikes. I always buy the all terrain type bike, not really with the tires that are made for off the road. Just a little larger tire base. I always use it for pavement style riding. Bike sidewalks mostly and then out in the country roads, just at the edge of the road.
Its not uncommon for me to spend from 9am to 6 pm on the road during good weather. That's why I go threw 2 sets of tires and brakes in about 4 years and then just trash the bike. They use to cost 12500 yen, but those days are gone now.
My budget is 17000 yen to about 21000 yen out the door. I got to have the front wheel type of lighting. Batteries just don't cut it with me. Also a front basket since I do a lot of grocery shopping. A rear carrier, I'll add later.

This is normally what I buy. This one cost me about 17000 yen plus the rear carrier for 5000 yen. Bought this one about 4 years ago at NAFCO, but they no longer carry them. And they don't have any style like this in stock. Asahi bike shop is out of the question, they really are over priced. Donkey Hotei carries a lot of bikes, but they just don't have the one I want. Their prices are reasonable. About 19000 yen for a stripped down ATB style bike.

What kind of bike do you have? Picture?

That's a very sturdy bike, and probably not the lightest.

I'm using two American-made Lynskey Ti bikes for commuting (my neck of woods is very hilly). Currently this one, minus the fancy wheelset for commuting:

Amazon Japan offers bikes like this:

Amazon product ASIN B00BHPIUPE
Also check the "related products" at the bottom of the page.

As for mamma-charis: ママチャリ - Wiktionary

Since I bought my first bike with my own money when I was about 15, I've nearly always bought bikes from small local bike shops. They tend to be run by people who actually like bikes (as opposed to, say, Donkey Hotei!), are grateful for your custom, and treat your bike like royalty when you go in with a small problem and usually do a few other small jobs free of charge. I'm currently riding a very sturdy 7-gear Bridgestone bike, which cost about 40,000 yen and is good for 30km rides when I go through a phase of evening cycling. I've had it for 7 years, it's done quite a lot of mileage, and apart from changing the back tyre once, it's cost me nothing to maintain it.

I'm currently riding a very sturdy 7-gear Bridgestone bike, which cost about 40,000 yen and is good for 30km rides when I go through a phase of evening cycling. I've had it for 7 years, it's done quite a lot of mileage, and apart from changing the back tyre once, it's cost me nothing to maintain it.

This thread requires visual documentation. ☝🤓

Taken on my ancient mobile (don't have a smartphone), hence the blurry photo.

Attachments

• Bridgestone.JPG
    Bridgestone.JPG
    276.4 KB · Views: 163
I always get cheap used bikes second hand but I have a welder and a lot of tools so I can keep them up or even modify them.

Back
Top Bottom