Votes: 12 60.0%
  • No, in principle it's impossible

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters

bakaKanadajin

先輩
30 Apr 2007
Isn't it true?
They say it can't, .. they've always said it can't.
I agree in principle, the old cliches are true and simply being rich doesn't make you happy; there are plenty of rich people in the world who lead unhappy lives.

But think of it this way.
One family, a good family, struggling to make ends meet due to debt.
If they could just pay off the debt they'd be able to stop all the fighting, send their kids to school with full stomachs, not worry so much about job security as a job loss wouldn't necessarily mean instant death anymore, etc. So called middle-class poverty.

And if we really look at it, I do not think it's reasonable to say this family would instantly be corrupted by their new financial stability and start going nuts, spending, digging themselves into debt again. I think they and many people, if given a lump sum of money, a second chance, etc., would do good with it and do just 1 or 2 things they really want to do - have always wanted to do, those lifelong dreams - and in so doing be happier.

So can't money buy happiness?

I hope to find out before I die.

When the local lotteries get above 20 million US$ , I always buy a ticket and dream what I would do with the money. I don't know if a lot of money would buy happiness, but not having the stress and worry associated with being poor would be a relief which would make me happy.

Uncle Frank

😌

im vote, no :)

Happiness is state of mind, when you feel grateful and feel enough for what you got. And what is "suffering"? contra happiness? suffering is, loosing what you have (lots of money lots of loosing potential) and dont get what you want, its always works between this two.

It dont need money for being happy, happy its a state of mind. Contrary, money can bring great suffering. And peoples with lots of money becoming very hard to please, they even confuse how to please himself nothing taste sweet anymore. In contrary happiness can easily be found when we limit in money, like a rice when you feel hungry can bring happiness in your hearth.

A Quote by Albert Camus
It is a kind of spiritual snobbery that makes people think they can be happy without money.

Albert Camus (1913 - 1960)

A Quote by Albert Camus
It is a kind of spiritual snobbery that makes people think they can be happy without money.
Albert Camus (1913 - 1960)

No wonder, he and his best friend Sartre were known to be the most happily philosopher in french ever. Writing something like "myth of sysyphus" that rich with color of pesimistic toward life, suicidal depression, indeed reflect the deep understanding on the terms of happiness.

Nice quote bruno, and again, nice avatar, i like that "confuse cow".

:D

Last edited:
What about "Yes, it can for some people" or just "Yes, it can"?

Sorry, just giving you a hard time :D

It is certainly very circumstantial as you have shown in your example. "Money can't buy happiness" is just a saying created by a human being, not some decree from heaven. As Voltaire would put it "A witty saying proves nothing."

i don't think money buy happiness ,
some times we lose some one Likable or from relatives , or maybe we sick ,
what money can do now .....,,,,

i think money bring sadness , cuz all world fighting for money .
that what i think

What about "Yes, it can for some people" or just "Yes, it can"?
Sorry, just giving you a hard time :D
It is certainly very circumstantial as you have shown in your example. "Money can't buy happiness" is just a saying created by a human being, not some decree from heaven. As Voltaire would put it "A witty saying proves nothing."
Intersting

My main idea is we should put money where it should be put and take a role. I do agree with your statement yes it can bring happiness toward some peoples, but its not really the money that make them happy, but its what he can bought with that money to satisfy his needs. Its the rice, the meat, the good black cofee that make them happy, not the money.
And the fact that money can sometimes bring suffering to some peoples, it make both "money bring happiness" or "money bring grieve" are not truth. The truth are non of them.

But i can show u what bring u unhappiness and the source of the pursuit of money in order to gain happiness (almost a myth). Its the feeling of need something. That being produce by advertencies system like each time you watch your tv.

"you need new car, throw out your old car, in order to look more attractive"
"the world is unsavety, u need more advance security system buy this advance electronic"
"your computer is to old, you need more advance requirment"
"you need cream, you look to black, and it do look bad, buy this new cream"
"environment is in dangerous, its can treaten our health, you need this professional masker to cover yourself"

This create a feeling of unsavety, feeling of not enough, feeling of being poor, feeling of uncool, when u go to your tv and u feel u have enough, u watch your tv and u feel your far then enough. this things, it produce a huge hole in our life demand, and each time we cover the hole, it continue being produce. Guatari and Deleuze, have quite explanation about this.

Money is not a magic wand to happiness. Its just an exchange tools. And we human cant be simply happy just by satisfying our need, we believe that, but that is not the truth. Im not poor, there were time when i can bought what ever i need. But that not instantly give me happiness.

Happiness is only a flavor of life. Nothing to be pursuit, it will come. As sugar and salt both are need to create good cook. So do happiness and sadness, both will come, un-avoidable, even if u want to avoid becoming happy you just cant. Its like u cant hold your laugh when there is a good joke.

Money is an important device we can't ignore that, it can create some happiness
But if we rely on money to make us happy, it is not right

when we employ the money to buy the necessary stuff that we can not do without them, for example buy food or pay rent on the house, or buy medicines then we may feel happiness that makes the value of money when we put it in the right place

there are a lot of rich people i personally know some of them are not satisfy with life despite what they have of money, jewelry, houses, cars ...

Satisfaction itself can buy happiness, it can make you feel good no matter how miserable you are

It depends what you mean by happiness. If you mean it in the sense of an emotion, a feeling of joy, then sure, money can buy that, but it will be short-lived. If you mean it in the sense of fulfillment, of being content with life, then money is an indirect factor among many others. It is certainly neither necessary nor sufficient for happiness.

For me personally, money has very little to do with happiness. On the contrary, the fact that I'm not at all materialistic is one of the things that makes me most content. I don't play the lottery, and I don't believe that having more money would make me happier, because I have everything I need and want already - which is not much.

U seem like a good teacher for me Tsuyoiko, by your comment and by the fact that u read my favorite author. Dostoyevsky.

:)

I think money can buy happiness, because the things that make us suffer often come from (in the West and in poor countries especially) a lack of material completion. It's called 'the hierarchy of needs'. Food>Clothing>Shelter etc...

I think beyond that, pin-pointing happiness is the key; knowing when your material needs have been satisfied is important. The modern industrial complex drags this hierarchy out, extends it, bleeds it dry, never lets us move up to the next level. That's the problem.

What I mean is this...
It's not like I WANT to buy a new pair of shoes, it's that I and others have been brainwashed into thinking that if my shoes aren't awesome I won't be a valid human being.

I certainly didn't ask to think or be thought of this way. I just want warm feet.

But even still, you can't get shoes for free without stealing them, so I need some money!

I do agree on the satisfying our basic need its necessary. But money can buy happiness is something more then that in meaning.

Happiness is an emotion. If money can buy happiness im sure bill gates or rockefeller are the happiest man on earth.

You know Bakka, once here in Indonesia there was an earthquake, so i go set up tent, gather peoples, etc etc, live with central java peoples for several months. The region that i was being put that time, its far from being touch by the magic hand of technology. And i met with this man, a 90 years old grand, he had complete teeth, still go routine to his farm to do muscular works, and he laugh louder then any of us. And he was a smoker. But suprisingly he appear as healthy as a teenager. It just amaze me. His house even dont had floor just appear as a naked soil, i never seen in my life such poverty.

Yes he seems poor for me, but he far more happier and healthier compare to all the rich man who live in the city who already spend his day time in hospital, getting all the disease, forbid to eat this and that.

While he just do this simple life, no diet, no vitamin, no treatmill or what ever, and i bet never being thought in his mind "do money can buy me happiness?" He even not consider himself being poor or live in undecent situation. Why should he? he can eat, his healthy without any modern medicene, they get no loan or debt? All sufficient for life.

But put the tv on that village, let them now that they need motorcycle. They walking barefoot, let the tv tell them only un-civilize man walk with barefoot, they need to buy a shoes. And i bet, in years, he will start thinking like u my friends.

"can money buy happiness?"

things are different, there things call simulacrum, this little things make your (naturaly) simple life becoming the complexity of "want" and "need" that always being renewal and update, like our anti virus, very hard to understand and to satisfy.

That is my humble oppinion.

Last edited:
and now im start to wondering, in tribal communities when the need are just simple, is there any question being thrown by the member such like

"oh chief, do goat can barter happiness?"

I think money can buy happiness, because the things that make us suffer often come from (in the West and in poor countries especially) a lack of material completion. It's called 'the hierarchy of needs'. Food>Clothing>Shelter etc...

Satisfying one's basic needs does not guarantee one's happiness; otherwise, unhappiness in Western society would be limited to the homeless. A lack of material completion is only one of the things that makes us suffer, one among many. Loneliness, poor health, environment, social pressures, bad relationships - these all make us suffer, and money doesn't help with any of them in a reliable way.

A certain (rather small) amount of money is the most practical way to satisfy our most basic needs, but it's not the thing that makes us happier in itself. I personally feel that there's a certain dignity in living a relatively ascetic life, and that gives me more personal satisfaction than money ever could.

I think beyond that, pin-pointing happiness is the key; knowing when your material needs have been satisfied is important.

I completely agree with that. It seems that most people aren't capable of realising that their needs have been satisfied.

It's not like I WANT to buy a new pair of shoes, it's that I and others have been brainwashed into thinking that if my shoes aren't awesome I won't be a valid human being.

It's possible to live in Western society without being brainwashed in this way, although I'm not sure how one achieves such a detachment from material longings. I feel I've done so to a greater extent than most people, although I'm not really sure how.

I certainly didn't ask to think or be thought of this way. I just want warm feet.

But even still, you can't get shoes for free without stealing them, so I need some money!

That's just an accident of the way our society works. It's having warm feet and the recognition that your shoes are awesome that makes you happy, not the money that bought you those shoes. If someone gave you the shoes you would feel just as happy, perhaps even more so.

For me personally having enough money to do the things I want and help my mum out financially is great, but I know myself well enough to know that I'll still be worried about other things, things that money can't help directly. I guess for me it depends on the personality of the person.

The right amount of money can make it easier to be happy, but I remember reading a study that showed people who make excessive amounts of money actually begin to suffer of depression, so I would having a lot of money can ruin happiness.

bakakanadajin said:
But think of it this way.
One family, a good family, struggling to make ends meet due to debt.
If they could just pay off the debt they'd be able to stop all the fighting, send their kids to school with full stomachs, not worry so much about job security as a job loss wouldn't necessarily mean instant death anymore, etc. So called middle-class poverty.

Money can buy happiness in the short term, but I doubt very much that it can buy happiness, for the majority of people, in the long term as many falsely believe. The key is what one does with money when they have it. This is where I believe your argument falls short.

The reason many people believe that money (or the illusion of having it) can buy happiness, IMO, is that in today's capitalistic, debt-based Keynesian economic society, many are brainwashed into believing that the more you have the happier you'll be. You're just not cool unless you drive this car, wear these sneakers, have this phone, or live in this neighborhood. Can't afford it? No problem, use your credit card and pay for it for years with easy monthly payments. That's why you see the majority of people today driving cars and living in houses they can't afford and it has kept the economies of the world, particularly the US, until recently, moving.

Personally, I never believed in debt and have lived accordingly, within my means and even below it so that I may save for future needs, retirement, and emergencies and after 25 years of living below my means I am very comfortable. Does it make me happy? In a way it does, but I should say it more relieves a lot of the pressure and stress I would've had if I spent all that I made like many a colleague and co-workers have.

Let's put it this way: In my job, we all know what the other person is making because we are paid by the miles we drive. Some drive the maximum 600 miles per day and some less. I know people making more than US$80,000/year and their spouses making $40,000 or more, who are broke, living paycheck to paycheck, and worried about losing their house because they lived above their means with money from future earnings. They always bought the latest TV's, the best SUV's, boats, the latest phones, and have tens of thousands of dollars in credit card debt not to mention the hundreds of thousands they owe on their homes. Are they happy? Hell no they aren't happy.

Then again, I know people (one or two) who make far less, have no debt, live within or below their means, and are happy with no stress as they have savings and planned for the future. Are they happy? In a way, yes they are, and so are their families. They may not have the best things in life, but they have no worries.

In today's worsening economic situation in America I listen to a lot of radio call-in shows while on the road dealing with financial debt and I am just dumbfounded at some of the callers I hear. I hear of professionals like doctors and such making in excess of $250,000/year who are broke and hundreds of thousands in debt and in fear of losing their homes and paying off debt. Did money make them happy?

I also hear callers who make $50,000 per year and are also tens of thousands of dollars in debt. How can this be? Because they both lived above their means and spent money they didn't have and are now paying for it as the economy worsens on a daily basis.

If the average American is living paycheck to paycheck and has an average of $9,000 in credit card debt and more homes are in foreclosure than ever before, why are there also the few (very few) people who are not worried if they lose a job and have no debt and they make an average of $60,000/year? It's because they lived within their means and planned for the future as I stated above.

bakakanadajin said:
And if we really look at it, I do not think it's reasonable to say this family would instantly be corrupted by their new financial stability and start going nuts, spending, digging themselves into debt again. I think they and many people, if given a lump sum of money, a second chance, etc., would do good with it and do just 1 or 2 things they really want to do - have always wanted to do, those lifelong dreams - and in so doing be happier.
The sad truth is most people probably would squander it as that is how our society is. I have seen over the years people come into tens of thousands of dollars in inheritances or from gambling and such, and what did they do? Did they pay off their debt and/or their homes or invest it in something worthwhile? No, they went out and spent it on useless things like a boat, new SUV, an overseas trip, gambled it in Vegas, or what have you and they are still as broke, if not more, today. Why? Because they have always had a "broke mentality" and believe it's normal to live paycheck to paycheck or always have a car loan or a mortgage. Any "extra" money is a bonus to be spent immediately.

Just Google "broke lottery winners" and you will see what I mean. The average person will rarely change regardless of how much money they come into or win. It's just human nature. Granted, there are the very few who will use it wisely and change their family tree, but the vast majority will not.

Also, Google the people who were given $2,500 prepaid credit cards during hurricane Katrina in New Orleans to help them with their daily living. What did the vast majority of these so-called poor people do with the money? They spent it gambling and on material things like jewelery, booze, etc., rather than feed their family or find them a better life. Again, it's human nature.

There is a theory that if all the money in the world was divided evenly among all the people in the world, within 5 years it would all eventually be in the hands of five percent of the population (or something like that) as it is today as there are the few who know what to do with money and the majority who don't.

So, in the end, can a large lump sum of money buy happiness for the broke middle class person/family? For the very, very few yes; for the majority, no and it never will as long as we remain in a credit based society where the majority of people are easily duped into spending tomorrows money with money that they don't have to buy things that they don't need, just to impress people they don't like. They live that way way because that is what they have been taught by the media and mass advertising in a capitalistic society.

Everyone will be happy to have alot of money so money makes you happy,Happiness is not one degree,it deffers,So i think the question is not logical,I preffer ( Money can makes you happy ) unless you know a store that sells happiness then i will go into it :D
Like sadness,illness and so on,It causes sadness and makes happiness.

So in my opinion,happiness comes when it's factors exist.(Family,Friends,Money,Health..etc).

Personally, I never believed in debt and have lived accordingly

Yes, i always avoiding debt and rejecting all credit card call on my cellphone, hearing their explanation its like hearing a spider spoke to the flies

"dear friends, wellcome to my comfertable house, here have a seat take a couple of tea or cofee"

Yup, not until we falling into trap, i have a friend who being called by debt colector who told him if he cant fulfill the payment just sold his son and wife to cover it.

I mean, naudzubillah, i dont want to fall into that situation, it can drive me nuts. I just keep my foot to the ground and act acordingly.

abdalrasyid:
I think that man is a great example of how we should all try to be. Fortunately for him, he comes from a time and place where capitalism has not corrupted the way of thinking and he's quite happy. Unfortunately for myself, I come from a time and place where living barefoot is romantically desirable, being 'close to nature', but for some reason it's just not practical. But your example stands - in principle I think there's a lot we can learn from that fellow.

Tsuyoiko:
I would be happy to receive the shoes for free!
Again, personally speaking it's not the money, it's the ability to NOT worry about material needs so I can worry about other more important things. I think it's possible to be busy worrying about other things and still be happy. Without struggling we cannot know happiness. But rather than struggling for menial things like warming my feet, I'd be happier putting my energy towards struggling to, say, rid the world of animal abuse or something I'm keenly interested in. So therein the money can help me achieve happiness.

It seems a definition of happiness we can all agree on would have been a better way to start the argument.

Pachipro:
That's kinda sad, I guess those people just needed to take their minds off the suffering and were not in the right mental state to use that money in a calculated and useful fashion. When people are reduced to baseness it's difficult to say just how much of our lofty ideals still remain. I can't say I wouldn't do the same, I can only say that I hope I'd be able to avoid doing so.

Money can confer upon the one in possession capacity. Such capacity allows a person to experience a wide variety of things, but ultimately experiences lead to insight and people, generally, grow accustomed to the pleasures and thrills of life. Very few are and very few will ever be completely content. Insight can be a cause of existential ennui.

abdalrasyid:
I think that man is a great example of how we should all try to be. Fortunately for him, he comes from a time and place where capitalism has not corrupted the way of thinking and he's quite happy. Unfortunately for myself, I come from a time and place where living barefoot is romantically desirable, being 'close to nature', but for some reason it's just not practical. But your example stands - in principle I think there's a lot we can learn from that fellow.

Yes there are many things that we can learn from the old man, I agree. And im also find myself hard to walk with barefoot now away. But lesson can we take from him in my opinion, he treat an object as an object itself, being functional without knowing it in the first place, no less no more, if he don't need it no he don't want it.

Object or commodity have value because of function, state-capital and other effort (demand and supply) and we should act equally toward it, being functional are being rational for me. Being functional, maybe not instantly giving us happiness. But it reduce our suffering by overwhelming ourselves with unnecessary demand on life and take commodity as a gate to happiness.

Its a synthetic made up emotion, again by the capitalism system (sound like creepy conspiration theory, but believe its not). In order to cover their over-production commodity, they need to set the market behavior for being over-consumption. By using advertencies they create the myth on products. So man can short timely satisfy with delusion (fame, power, being normal) that being planted on the commodity.

It call, simulation (create hypersemiotic)

example

a=a

to

a=abc

like shoes are suppose to covering your legs (a=a), this is functional. But now shoes can mean everything, shoe can be mean that you are more adapt with your neighborhood, it can be mean you are respectable person, you are masculine, you are important man, you are left wing politician, you are Mc boy (a=abc), commodity speak louder then you. Its a false attribute, an avatar, that being manipulate and being plant. It flip the person being an object and a object being a person, we are being what we are not for what we think and what we do, but what we have. What our achievement, what our object.

In effect we have this illusion that matter or commodity can give us almost anything, fame, power, woman (seducing them with car, common myth), respect and happiness. And a lie that being believe with large number of peoples, becoming common delusion. Should we toast now?

As baudrillard said, rich man in the past are being surround by men, but now-aday they being surround by object. We becoming a economical fetish now adays. And that make us suffer.

Last edited:
money can buy you hoildays and evey item you ever wanted and a nice big house
witch may make you happy

but money cant buy freinds and family

so to a point money CAN by you happy-ness
but theres a fine line

Back
Top Bottom