What's new

Thumbs? God, What will they think of Next?

Hanada Tattsu

後輩
12 Aug 2003
Okay, my History teacher told me that a few years ago, a group of South Korean men gathered together and surgically removed their thumbs to send it to Japanese Emperor Akihito. Is this true?

Cause if they did, that's just sick. :/

Interesting .. is that a genuine thing that you can provide evidence for? I'd like to know why they'd do that ..

Or is it just general slander?

Sounds like slander to me. Hard to imagine there being any other possible purpose for a post like that.

Its also worth mentioning that the Japanese Yakuza do something very similar (amputate their fingers) whenever they get into trouble with their boss.

A search on the web for "south korea" AND "Japan" AND "thumbs" turned up this thread in the first five hits. There was nothing else of substance.

I don't think there is very much truth to the story.

Originally posted by senseiman
Its also worth mentioning that the Japanese Yakuza do something very similar (amputate their fingers) whenever they get into trouble with their boss.

yakuza have to cut off a pinky finger when they leave in order to discourage leaving.

Aparently the usual thing is to then replace it surgically with the smallest toe .. saw a documentary on that once.

Stop being sarcastic. The rudeness of some people here is nausiating. You don't want to reply to a post, then don't. Especially Mandylion and senseiman, you all can just shut up because I don't need your and frankly don't care about your stupid opinions.

I am a moderator at a large Pokemon message board, and I know what flaming is.

Sorry, didn't realize I was dealing with the moderator of a pokemon message board!! If I had, I can assure you that my obviously inappropriate and offensive voicing of an opinion that differs from your own would never have occured. It was absolutely inexcusable, I hope you'll accept my deepest and sincerest apologies. I'm sure Mandylion feels the same.

I'll be good from now on, promise!

I didn't see anything at all wrong with Mandylion's post or senseiman's posts. There was definitely no flaming or sarcasm involved. Actually, I think they were trying to be helpful. Mandylion even took the time to search it, in effort to find more information, and senseiman just made that reference to the yakuza, which bared some resemblance to what you had originally brought up.

Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu
Okay, my History teacher told me that a few years ago, a group of South Korean men gathered together and surgically removed their thumbs to send it to Japanese Emperor Akihito. Is this true?

Cause if they did, that's just sick. :/

For what reason?:confused:

Not the thumb, but the index;

Just a quick reply: To evade service or army brutality ?

Otherwise healthy Korean males who lack the right index finger from the second joint up are exempt from conscription. The regulation is based on the fact that pulling a trigger would require that part of the index finger.

legend: During the last years of the Japanese occupation of Korea people would rather lose two pieces of their right index finger than serve the Imperialist Japanese Army and their emperor.

current situation: People who lost the index finger from an accident or congenital condition are lawfully exempt from military service. People who mutilate the index finger for the purpose of evading military service are gaoled for the maximum term of military service he might have served otherwise, ie. with a normal index finger. It is hard to believe, but there are STILL such ignorant men who do that nowadays though very rare.

hypothesis: If the report of op were true, they didn't want to violate the trigger pulling finger ?

Last edited:
Along the lines of the Yakuza:

I have also heard that the small finger is removed, but not for the same reason. My understanding is that the finger is removed when a member wishes to leave the mafia - it isn't possible to hold a hand gun and aim properly without your small finger. I have recently bought "Yakuza: Japan's Criminal Underworld (Expanded Edition)" by David E. Kaplan and Alec Dubro. I have not had the opportunity to begin reading it yet, but hopefully it will provide some light on the subject.

Back
Top Bottom