What's new

Three WWII armbands

bldrhouse

後輩
16 Apr 2020
Since these are rather brief, am posting all three.
The first two are photographer related but would like a translation better than the auction house provided.
The third was listed as "Japanese Military Police," but since there is a small black stamp "MP," I'm assuming this is from post-war Occupation Period. Any knowledge appreciated, and I will also inquire about this one on a WWII military reference site.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 57
  • 4_1.jpg
    4_1.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 62
Not much to translate here. The auction house probably did as well as could be expected.
1. 新聞 寫眞係 Press (Newspaper), Photography section (or just, "photographer" if you like)
2. 新聞寫 Looks to be an abbreviation of Press and Photography. Anyway, that's the intent of the writing - to announce that the person is a press photographer. The symbol belongs to the police department.
3. 憲兵 - Usually would refer to Kempeitai, the infamous domestic secret police in Japan during the war years, ensuring people were being sufficiently patriotic. However, the "M.P." seems incongruous with the Kempei. MP (Military Police) is an abbreviation and style that would be antithetical to the Kempeitai. Could it be an armband used/co-opted by the occupying authorities after August 1945? I suppose its one possibility.

Last edited:
Majestic, I left off the left half of one armband; this is the already translated right half: 新聞寫
here's the entire thing, translation appreciated

regarding the Kempei / MP armband, I just acquired an IJA Type 90 helmet, repainted and with both
the Kempei and MP printed on it. Whomever did it also changed out the interior straps with
US helmet ones; the holes for the original IJA straps are there.

Attachments

• 1700710695294.png
    1700710695294.png
    138.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 1A.jpeg
    1A.jpeg
    256.8 KB · Views: 24
Majestic, thank you; however, the auction house (?) posted this as the translation for the armband with the rosette on it:

"Newspaper Photography Section Chief"

Japanese WWII armband reads, "Newspaper Photography Section Chief," "Shinbun Shashin Kakarichou,"
The symbol belongs to the police department. circa pre-1946.

z

Last edited:
Majestic, thank you; however, the auction house (?) posted this as the translation for the armband with the rosette on it:

"Newspaper Photography Section Chief"

Japanese WWII armband reads, "Newspaper Photography Section Chief," "Shinbun Shashin Kakarichou,"
The symbol belongs to the police department. circa pre-1946.

z
I think that would be an acceptable translation.https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%BF%82%E9%95%B7

Back
Top Bottom