What's new

WWII flag translation

JoeBianco

Registered
29 Mar 2015
image.jpg
My grandfather recently passed and we found this flag which I am told he brought back from his time fighting in WWII. It is made of silk and has a stamp in the corner as well as writing which I believe is Japanese. Looking to see if anyway can translate and any other information would be welcome.

1)The proportion of the center red circle to the entire flag is odd.
2)The flag was used in wrong direction (longitudinally).
3)All the signatures have only family names. There are no given names there.
4)Signatures such like General Yamashita or Major Nishikawa are extremely unusual.
and above all
5)All the signatures were written by the same person.

6) No place names

7) No unit designators

8) No dates

Apparently, there were a lot of fakes either created for sale to GIs who wanted a trophy but failed to capture one or which were commissioned by GIs who wanted a trophy but failed to capture one. Six of one, half a dozen of the other at this late date.

If I were you I would take comfort in discovering it is a fake. That means he didn't have to steal it from a living prisoner or....worse....rob a dead body for it. Nor does it hold the slightest bit of sentimental value for the descendants or surviving relatives of a Japanese soldier who died in the war and who might want it back, since it was a fraud from the get-go. This is a 100% guilt-free souvenir of the time, place, and era. Enjoy it.

6) No place names

7) No unit designators

8) No dates

Apparently, there were a lot of fakes either created for sale to GIs who wanted a trophy but failed to capture one or which were commissioned by GIs who wanted a trophy but failed to capture one. Six of one, half a dozen of the other at this late date.

If I were you I would take comfort in discovering it is a fake. That means he didn't have to steal it from a living prisoner or....worse....rob a dead body for it. Nor does it hold the slightest bit of sentimental value for the descendants or surviving relatives of a Japanese soldier who died in the war and who might want it back, since it was a fraud from the get-go. This is a 100% guilt-free souvenir of the time, place, and era. Enjoy it.
Thank you very much for the insight... Makes a lot of sense. So basically the wrighting is all names of failmy to say good luck?(even fake id like to understand what it says)

The four characters at the top of the flag is 武運長久[Buunchōkyū] "Good luck in battle". The rest are all family names(the names of the presenters in genuine ones).

The four characters at the top of the flag is 武運長久[Buunchōkyū] "Good luck in battle". The rest are all family names(the names of the presenters in genuine ones).
Thank you for your help. Really nice being able to get information on this. Not sure how else I would have been able to do this. Thanks again.

Also, the "Tojo" signature (left of center bottom, largest signature) is a fairly dead giveaway, and ubiquitous to this kind of ersatz war flag. Together with the signatures of Yamashita, Ariga, Sugiyama, etc... all major names in the Japanese military of the time. It's like finding a strange Nazi banner with (miraculously) all the signatures of Hitler, Rommel, Goering, Ribbentrop, etc...

Even if it isn't what your grandfather thought it to be, its still an artifact of its time, and perhaps all the more fondly cherished for all the reasons Mike mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom