What's new

Help translating WWII Japanese flag

NickCT

後輩
21 Aug 2012
Hi everyone,
I have a WWII Japanese flag and I would really love to have some help with translating what it says. Is this a "Good Luck" flag before a soldier was sent off to war? Or a battle flag? I've been told by someone it has a name and some phrases but was never told anything beyond that as far as what it actually says. I'd really appreciate any help with this - thank you so much!
flag1z-1.jpg

flag2s-1.jpg

flag3r-1.jpg

flag4-1.jpg

Last edited:
The picture is too small. There are so many names written on it.
The flag was presented to 新谷信平 Shintani Sinpei from The supporting group for soldiers going to the front in Matsukawa, Hakodate City.

I can only recognize "May God prosper your arms" and "Long live Imperial Japanese Army" other than people's names.
The flag was gifted to 新谷信平 when he went to the front.

Thanks very much! I guess it doesn't mention anything about good luck in battle or anything like that?

武運長久[Buunchōkyū] "May God prosper your arms" written on the upper left corner of the flag can be the one.

I understand, I really, really appreciate all the help you've given me Toritoribe! I finally know a lot more about this flag than I did. All the best, and thank you again,

Nick

I understand, I really, really appreciate all the help you've given me Toritoribe! I finally know a lot more about this flag than I did. All the best, and thank you again,

Nick
No problem. The only one I can't decipher is a phrase written on the upper center. Uncommon/Irregular kanji are used there. The rests are ALL people's names. So, that's not too much. (Oh, there's one more word 忠勇[chūyū] "faithful and brave" there.)

Back
Top Bottom