What's new

Three missiles down, but more to go (unless...)?

firideibi

後輩
29 Aug 2005
Konbanwa:

I just saw on BBC World (both their top-of-the-hour newscast and the Asia Today programme) that the North Korean military tested three missiles -- one of which was reported of the "long-range" variety that could reach the States -- which fell into the Sea of Japan. U.S. officials suggested that as many as six might have been tested.

Needless to say, state officials in Japan and the States are very upset about this. Their South Korean counterparts are very nervous, to say the least. And I have to admit that this act was quite a scare indeed.

I wonder if any Forum members living in Japan have heard anything amongst their neighbours that might be worth sharing here. Outside of official channels (and I don't just mean the NHK), what has been the salaryman or OL's word on the street?

Anyone?

Philip David
2006.07.04-05

:sorry:

As of yet, nothing from 'those on the street' on my end. Of course most students at the uni don't really talk about such stuff. If I catch word of something, I'll post it. MM

My students talk about it a lot, actually. It's a pretty big concerned out where I am. Someone told me the other day my city is actually closer to Seoul than Tokyo so that it would be a worry.

xerxes99 said:
Someone told me the other day my city is actually closer to seoul than Tokyo, so it would be a worry.
Huh?

My friend's been telling me that a few months ago, US satellites picked up a NK missile that was shot over Japan. Things are definitely getting scary. Thank goodness we used up our military forces and took care of Saddam Hussein when we did. :eek:

Wrongful conduct more Korean than a North Korean junk missile is a great problem.
Korea investigates the economic waters of the Sea of Japan without taking Japanese consent.
As for the Korean, both the north and the south are the same.

It would be suicidal for North Korea to ever attack another country in the present circumstances. I think they are just in need of attention.

It`s pretty scary. I just moved to Japan 2 weeks ago snif snif.

I indeed think that they want to show what they can do. Of course, if they would hit Japan or the States, there would be no North-Korea anymore, but they could/would hit Japan, or the States for sure. And that scares me.

Let`s see what's going to happen with this.

( I heard it on my work, while I was playing Lego with the kids...

Last I heard on CNN news was that it was six missles shot up today, the same day as the US space shuttle. Yesterday NORAD (North American Defense Command) was on alert Bravo+ in anticipation of the launch.

I have to agree with Maciamo in that North Korea would be suicidal to actually shoot an armed missle at any country knowing they would be blown off the map. They're just clamoring for attention and more foreign aid.

On a side note though. In the 90's Pres Clinton signed an executive order that says that the US would absorb TWO nuclear hits before retaliating. TWO! Pres Bush, when asked, said he would not recind that executive order. I wonder why? Any thoughts? Why not retaliate before one hit the US or after the first. I wonder why two. Odd.

Mac's right, N.Korea is just testing the waters so to say, they wont actually do anything.

North Korea.

They shot a missile over Japan back in 1998. I remember very well. I was in Osaka, and everyone I knew was shocked. It landed in the Pacific Ocean.

Now they have shot half a dozen more. This time no one I know is shocked. Quite the opposite, they are not surprised at all. I think NK is doing more damage to themselves than good. At least as far as Japanese opinion is concerned. Obviously the NK government doesn't care.

I do not think the US will attack NK in the near future. But I think that NK made a gamble with this display of force, and it will not turn out as they have hoped. They may not receive UN sanctions, but they will not receive anything they want, either, I think.

meanwhile down in Osaka:

OSAKA -- Residents of Korean Town in Osaka's Ikuno-ku -- the largest conglomeration of Koreans in Japan -- were shocked and fuming at North Korea for firing six missiles on Wednesday.

Huang Chan-Su, deputy chairman of an Ikuno-ku traders association, couldn't believe North Korea had actually followed up on weeks of threats and fired the missiles.

"I'm shocked that they went through with it," said the second-generation resident Korean who is now aligned with South Korea but had once held North Korean citizenship. "I wonder whether they couldn't come up with a peaceful way to deal with their negotiations with the United States."

Another second-generation resident Korean holding South Korean citizenship was angry.

"I thought that being the same race meant that 'north' and 'south' didn't matter. I wish they wouldn't get all tangled up in a political mess," the 49-year-old woman, who declined to be named, said. "I must admit there's a part of me wondering what the hell they're doing." (Mainichi)

NHK News
N. Korea Launches Seven Missiles​

North Korea has launched seven missiles, including a long-range Taepodong-2.

The missiles started firing in the wee hours of Wednesday morning.

Defense Agency chief Fukushiro Nukaga said, "We've confirmed that ballistic missiles were launched from North Korea in the direction of the Japan Sea."

Japan's Defense Agency says the first missile was fired at 3:30 a.m. Japan time on Wednesday and the second at about 4:00 a.m.

The third was fired at 5 o'clock. The Defense Agency believes this was the Taepodong-2.

The fourth at 7:10, the fifth at 7:30, and the sixth at 8:20 a.m. fell into the same area in the Sea of Japan as first two missiles.

All of the missiles landed about ten minutes after launch.

Mr Nukaga said, "According to our comprehensive analysis, the third missile was recognized as Taepodong-2. Asked if it's success or failure, I would say it probably failed."

The Defense Agency says analysis of data obtained by Aegis destroyers deployed in the Sea of Japan indicates that the missile's booster and warhead had not separated when the missile fell into the ocean.

Mr Nukaga said the Defense Agency would investigate the landing area, and stay on alert.

The concern was well-founded. A seventh missile was fired at 5:20 p.m. and fell in the Sea of Japan, close to where five others landed.

Pretty much a unimpressive display of military force, as one managed to stay in flight for about 40 secs. Probably worried a few fish and beach combers. Might have done better with a paper areoplane. Costs less.
I heard about it on radio 4 today. It seems that the security council is going to convene on the matter. Russia has already voiced displeasure and other members are hoping that China does as well. Japan has threatened financial punishments if they continue.

nurizeko said:
To make North Korea a little more of a backwater pit of poverty then it already is?.
Maybe if its government actually spent the money on its people rather than swimming missiles its poverty might get a little better.

I just wonder what can de world do about Korea...

And what would happen if the Kim Yong PONGGGGGGGG guy is death? most N-Koreans have been raised as little devils against Japan, and America... so you got a lot more Koreans on your doormat

N. Korean missile launches scare Japanese fishermen

(Kyodo) _ Japanese who live and work near the Sea of Japan expressed shock and fear upon hearing that North Korea had launched missiles on Wednesday that are believed to have fallen in the sea.

Hiroaki Takahashi, 53, a resident of Rebun, Hokkaido, who was fishing out at sea when the missiles landed, said, "It would have been a terrible consequence if the missiles had flown over to Rebun. It is a life-threatening incident. It really is a threat."

Noriki Sato, 48, said after returning from squid fishing, "I will continue to fish because I have to make a living. My family would probably get worried but we can only hope that (the missiles) won't fly over here again."

An official of the Fisheries Cooperative Association of Matsumae said some fishermen are likely to put off going out to sea.

Meanwhile, residents on Sado Island in Niigata Prefecture reported the sky turning red or orange around the times when the missiles were launched.

"When I went outside around 4 a.m., the sky had a color that I have never seen before," said a 74-year-old woman in Sado, adding that the sky in western part of the island turned red for about five minutes.

A 47-year-old female part-time worker in the city said, "I thought it would come someday...It was different from sun, and the western sky was strangely bright and had turned orange."

"All members have expressed deep concern after the launching of this ballistic missile by North Korea," Ambassador Jean-Marc de la Sabliティre of France, which holds the Council presidency for the month of July, told reporters following the consultations of the 15-member body.

Hiroyuki Nagashima said:
Yes, and the US already knows that.

Foreign Policy Welfare Queen
ROK Unification Minister Chung Dong-Young recently proclaimed that the North is entitled to have a nuclear program. South Korea has been closer to China than the U.S. in the six-party talks. Moreover, the South is providing substantial economic aid to North Korea without asking for much in return.
The Freedom to Be Ungrateful
THERE IS NOTHING worse than an ingrate. This week's international prize for ingratitude goes 窶 hands down 窶 to South Korea's anti-American crowd.
"Historical Amnesia" Hurts Korea-US Alliance: Clinton
"I think there is a lack of understanding and a sense of historical amnesia," Clinton told the hearing. She said both countries should seek to understand each other and recognize the importance of their alliance.

Anti-American sentiment has grown among South Koreans in recent years in parallel with the thawing of relations with communist North Korea.

China, DPRK Mark 45th Anniversary of Friendship Treaty
Leaders of China and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Monday exchanged congratulatory messages on the occasion of the 45th anniversary of the signing of the Treaty of Friendship, Cooperation and Mutual Assistance between China and the DPRK.
Seoul "Won't Back UN Sanctions on N.Korea"
The U.S. chief nuclear negotiator Christopher Hill, who is on an emergency trip to rally Washington's allies around, in Seoul stressed the need to "speak in one voice" to address the matter, but the cracks are already beginning to appear.

Security Council Demands That DPR Korea Suspend Ballistic Missile Activities
The Council's unanimous adoption of resolution 1695 came following intensive debate behind closed doors and was immediately hailed by numerous Council members but rejected just as quickly by the DPRK Government.

名無し said:
Seoul "Won't Back UN Sanctions on N.Korea"

Statement by MOFAT Spokesperson on the Adoption of the UN Security Council Resolution 1695 on the Missile Launches by North Korea
1. The ROK Government has expressed profound concern over North Korea's recent missile launches, which constitute an act of provocation unacceptable to the international community.

2. The ROK Government has maintained the position that the international community must take appropriate steps to prevent the recurrence of a similar situation by conveying a clear, resolute and timely message to North Korea on the missile launches.
Lying is not a good way of winning people's trust.
They had better read an Aesop's fable "Bat, Birds and Beasts."

Hiroyuki Nagashima said:
Interpol Holds "Supernote" Summit to Address US Dollar Counterfeiting
Reported to be manufactured in the Democratic People窶冱 Republic of Korea (North Korea), the Supernote is a high-quality counterfeit of the 50-dollar and 100-dollar note, also known as a Superdollar.

South Skips an Interpol Event on Counterfeiting
South Korea was a no-show at an Interpol meeting of more than 60 officials from around the world to discuss North Korea's high-quality U.S. currency counterfeiting operations. South Korea has never acknowledged that such an operation existed in the North.

Yes, and the US already knows that.
Chosun Ilbo is rather sane as long as Japan is not involved in the topic:

Korea Wanted "Immediate" Troop Control Handover
In the seminar, Bell also reportedly posed questions about Korea-U.S. relations and South Korea's North Korea policies. They included whether South Koreans welcome the presence of U.S. forces and want them to stay, whether South Korea and the U.S. have fallen for a North Korean ploy due to the gap in their positions, what stance the South Korean government is taking on aid to North Korea after its nuclear test, including the inter-Korean Kaesong Industrial Complex, and who will take final responsibility in case of a war after the command transfer.
It is very uncommon for a military commander to speak up about political issues. That probably means: too late.

Back
Top Bottom