What's new

The positive things of the Corona virus

Davey

先輩
Contributor
5 Feb 2005
Corona Corona Corona... There hasn't been a day for months that it hasn't been on my mind... I feel hot do I have Corona? , I can't go to work because the school has closed down, I want to party but there are no parties and we need social distance, aaah alcohol spray... I need some...

Lots of negative things all these months but how about the positive things? Air pollution has became better, technology has been improved so it's easier to work from home and people have been more creative

So I would like to dedicate this thread to the positive things that has happened due to the Corona virus.

Something ideas this morning. A library on the beach:
Japan beach closed to swimmers opens to readers as social-distanced library - The Mainichi

My wife doesn't nag me to get out of the house and do something. Don't have to spend a lot of money for a vacation or long distance travel. Pets get a lot more attention now. No relatives coming to stay with us for now. Saving a lot of money on gas. More time to read or watch TV. Not catching the flu or as many colds as I used to. Don't have to shave or put my teeth in , mask hides everything. Getting more home repairs done and cleaning now and I'm so bored , it's now enjoyable.

I took my first flights since February and with Delta keeping the plane to 2/3 capacity finding overhead space was not a problem at all.

Right now, I'd think the most positive thing we can get out of the coronavirus is a new appreciation for our family and life. We only get to have one of each, so we should take care of it

The duty situation for a month goes to its office to the company of Tokyo for one week and works from home at the parents' house of Fukuoka for remaining three weeks.
Because there is my house particularly at the parents' house, I can live life that is wide, and is alone, and is comfortable.
Since I don't eat out, wasteful expenses have been reduced.

Although there are worries about covid-19 and flu being a double whammy, on the other hand I've read that what with people being masked up and distancing, there's a chance the imminent flu season might not be as bad as if it were a typical year.

And that the peak might come later--Feb-March--so the best time for a flu shot might be later October or November.

Definitely get your flu shot this year, even if you normally wouldn't. With Covid-19 going around, it is best to do whatever you can to minimize getting sick with anything. Imagine if you get the flu in the middle of another resurgence of Covid-19. You won't know which you have unless you get tested. Doctors will be busy and stressed, and you will have the added stress of the uncertainty of whether you got "it" or not. No, thanks!

... there's a chance the imminent flu season might not be as bad as if it were a typical year.
Of course I'll get my shot--I always do.

But this thread was asking for good news.

"Even as the novel coronavirus pandemic ravages humanity — the death toll currently stands at more than 1 million deaths worldwide out of nearly 34 million confirmed cases — there is some surprising good news about a more common type of disease: Influenza. As Scientific American reported on Wednesday, flu season has been close to nonexistent in the Southern Hemisphere this year, though it would normally have taken off around March. That means thousands of lives or more have been spared by the flu virus, which normally kills 100,000 to 500,000 people a year."

As the novel coronavirus pandemic in Japan forces people to spend more time at home, nearly 20 percent of wives and husbands said in a survey that their relationships had improved due to increased communication. In the survey, 19.6 percent of the 1,080 respondents aged in their 20s through 50s said their relationships had "improved" or "improved somewhat," 6.1 percent said that they had "worsened" or "worsened somewhat," while 74.3 percent responded that their relationships had not changed.

A new baby boom on the horizon? :giggle:

It was difficult to make a reservation for the year-end party every year at this time.
It was difficult to adjust the schedule at the year-end party every Friday.
There are no year-end party or Christmas party this year, so it is very good economically and healthily.🤗

Another positive outcome: the number of fatal traffic accidents nationwide has dropped to a record low in 2020 (except for Tokyo where empty streets led to an increase in speeding).

Another positive: those with televisions were not subjected to endless repeats of Japan's moments of glory in the 2020 Olympics at the end of the year! (Not that I want Japanese athletes to do badly - I just can't bear the endless self-praise in the media after any success in international sports.)

Another positive: those with televisions were not subjected to endless repeats of Japan's moments of glory in the 2020 Olympics at the end of the year! (Not that I want Japanese athletes to do badly - I just can't bear the endless self-praise in the media after any success in international sports.)

Wait until next year. 😋

My wife loves the Ekiden. So not only did we have to watch the live events but two condensed versions with experts analysing every twist and turn.

Wait until next year. 😋

My wife loves the Ekiden. So not only did we have to watch the live events but two condensed versions with experts analysing every twist and turn.
I'm confidently predicting that the Olympics will be cancelled.

This isn't a positive outcome of the coronavirus so much as one that just happened to occur amidst the pandemic, but damned if I'm going to let a technicality like that stop me from sharing this "oya-baka" moment with all of you, so... ;)

This is Elena (瑛伶奈・えれな), our daughter and first child, who came into our lives exactly two months ago to the day. A couple months before she was born, she was diagnosed with a congenital diaphragmatic hernia, which we were told would require surgery after birth and extensive treatment in the NICU with a 50-70% chance of survival.

I'm glad to report that she's recovered as well (even better, really) than we could possibly have dreamed, is now as happy and healthy as you see here. She'll be able to come home with us as soon as next week, and we couldn't be more thrilled.

Anyhow, sorry for the unsolicited baby pic, but hopefully she can bring a bit of brightness into the world like she has done for us. :giggle:

Attachments

• DSC_2680.JPG
    DSC_2680.JPG
    388.2 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
That is, without doubt, the best corona outcome so far! Congratulations to you and your wife, also on her recovery.

She is simply adorable! As is her name, 瑛伶奈. :)

Thomas, Uncle Frank, mdchachi, Lothor, thank you all for your very kind wishes (and my apologies for not responding sooner). :giggle:
I'm happy to report that Elena has been home with us for a couple weeks now.
She just turned three months last week, and she's getting bigger and more curious and full of energy every day.
She keeps mommy and daddy busy, but it's been more than worth it. :love:

(Sorry for another 親バカ post.)

Attachments

• MOV_0317.jpg
    MOV_0317.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC_0374.JPG
    DSC_0374.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC_0307.JPG
    DSC_0307.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 140