What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

The news of the earthquakes in the world

Mansoor

Sempai
Reaction score
While the epidemic of the corona virus in the world is the topmost topic in all the countries and has overshadowed other news notably, some natural phenomena happens in the world that have been lost in the the news of the corona disease background.
I sometimes drop in a Persian forum that has a topic about the news of the recent earthquakes in the world and its writer or reporter sends the recent detailed news about the quakes which happens in the world newly and I usually read them.
This idea came to my mind, I create a similar topic in the Japan forums and reflect some of the news here (not orderly), because my main purpose is practicing English and in fact I learned this language just via internet especially in the English forums through conversations (my English is not academic at all). So I will translate some of the Farsi news about the earthquakes in the world and put them in this topic. I hope these news are interesting for readers, though are not pleasant essentially.

Just the hour before I referred to the topic in the Farsi forum and observed this news that is the first news which I translate and send to this thread:

Yesterday, a great quake happened in the Caribbean sea with power of 7.7 Richter. The center of the quake had been 10 km of the seabed depth and the nearest city to the center was smart port, Losia in the western north of Jamaica. This earthquake has been felt in a vast area of the sea domain from Dominican to Yokatan Peninsula of Mexico and even Miami port in America and did frighten people. It is told some weird lights were seen in sky of Yokatan simultaneity, during the earthquake time. Such the lighting has been reported frequently in the hard quakes. After the quake issued the alert of a Tsunami in across the Caribbean sea but fortunately a small sea wave with 12 Cm was observed. Based on the reports this is the hardest quake in the Caribbean sea domain after 8.1 Richter quake in the area in 1946. Of course the quake in Haiti in January 2010 with 316000 casualty had only 7 Richter power! It is not reported any news about the damages of the recent quake up to this time.

The map of the earthquake place

t18-28-84-74.jpg

Last edited:

mdchachi

Reaction score
Isn’t the earthquake in Croatia today bigger news than this one?

Mansoor

Sempai
Reaction score
Hello, mdchachi

No, it wasn't. I read the news of the earthquake in Croatia in the same Persian topic, as well. It hadn't been serious, a quake about 4.5 Richter, but its side effect exposed the Croatian people in another risk.

The people were terrified because of the quake, left their houses and rushed into streets, parks and other open places. This caused the people gather in those places and ignore the Isolation rules in the crisis of corona disease, inevitably! The mild quake neither hurt them nor damaged any building but the frightening shake drove them out from their houses and they had to gather in some safe places.

The earthquake itself was not hazardous but in these days, gathering the mass of people in a place is violation of "social distance" rule and this can expose them to the corona virus infection.

However, the earthquake in Croatia was not a destroyer one.

Last edited:

Mansoor

Sempai
Reaction score
I referred to my reference news and found a new information about the (probably repeatedly) earthquake in Croatia:

Today morning two earthquakes, 5 and 5.5 Rich shook the center area of Croatia country. The quake hot spot was close to Zagreb zone but it is not published any other detailed news about the quake yet. Nonetheless the pictures of the Zagreb area show some old buildings are damaged somewhat.

Despite 5 Rich quakes are ordinary in the south of Balkan peninsula but such the shakes are rare in the north of Balkan.

Please don't delete the picture, no one was in the car. Surely its owner has escaped before.

840695-20200322055829-4.jpg

840695-20200322061718-20.jpg

Last edited:

Mansoor

Sempai
Reaction score
Tow days ago a 6.5 Rich earthquake happened in the Idaho state of America. The canter of the quake was in an uninhabited place at a distance of 80 Km in the west of Challis town with 1100 population. The quake happened in the depth of 10 Km underground of the area. Due to the distance of the earthquake center to the town, it is not expected it has created any casualty or notable damage. Nonetheless this quake was felt in a vast area of America and Canada which frightened people. It is told this earthquake had been the hardest shaking in Idaho state in the last 37 years.

q.jpg

Mansoor

Sempai
Reaction score
last night an earthquake did happen in a rural area near Tehran. Its power was about 5.1 Richter. No damage no wound but a few citizens were injured a little when they were running away from house to open places. A 60 years old man died because of the head trauma.
Till morning about 40 aftershocks occurred and some citizens spent the night in the parks due to worry of a repeatedly shake.

66142-443579.jpg

Top Bottom