What's new

The future of JREF

I think this problem solves itself. In most message boards, when someone posts a topic thats been done before, the other members single them out, and down right attack them for being redundant.

In other words, when it comes to things like that, the members take care of it usually. You cant get much better than that.

Now that I had a bit more time to think about it, I think that there shouldn't be any radical changes. Sure, that the Information topology, like the categories and topics, could be reshuffled and improved, but in the whole, I think the forum is ok because this is a community, and though a virtual one, its strenght isn't shown by its strong points or weak points, but by the overall experience that it allows to give to its visitors.

Discussing about creating even more sub-foruns is conter-productive. That will only lead to more confusion and one day, without you know it, you'll need a manual (or a tour guide) just to know in which forum a person should post. Not to mention that it borders on Eugenics. "Lets get rid of dumb people and put them in special places. Where does it begins? Where does it stop?"

Good or bad topics, they all contribute to the Jref Foruns experience, and as long as the excesses of guide lines are curbed, it will be fine.

Originally posted by Winter
I think this problem solves itself. In most message boards, when someone posts a topic thats been done before, the other members single them out, and down right attack them for being redundant.

In other words, when it comes to things like that, the members take care of it usually. You cant get much better than that.
I'm not quite sure why that isn't more the norm here, although much of the untidiness in the language forum at least is from members registering to ask one or two questions only to eventually drop out, or in many cases never ever be heard from again. So you have to wonder whether most of them would take any attack about as seriously as they seem to consider other members' time and energy before doing any preliminary searching/translating themselves in the first place. For reasons I can't begin to fathom, there have even been cases with back to back, word for word identical threads "I want to LEARN JAPANESE!" or "My name in KANJI!" and so it goes, on and on and on..... :p

I think the changes that Thomas and maciamo purpose would be great for the forum.🙂
However I have my reservations😌 I don't speak Japanese😊 , and I only know things about Japan because I learned them here!
I first logged on to the forum in search for a pen-pal, "looking for Keiko" but I have yet to locate her, but the friends I have made here and the time I spend here are truly irreplaceable(spell?)😍 these changes are scary to the likes of me!!!. I call this forum "my forum" to my friends and family, and they all know that this forum means a lot to me! I do appreciate that changes will be made and people will have to adjust! I want to know if people like me will still have a purpose!!!
@Maciamo, your remarks of the forum having the easy chit-chat section make me feel better! 👏

I am confused about what you mean about layering of ages...Would it be something like, only 15-19 year olds can post here, and 15-19 year olds can post here, and 20+ can post everywhere, or what???

Or are you trying to eliminate the younger folks here all together??

If you are thinking about doing that, all I can say is: Don't! Making kids post in certain areas because of age is just wrong. I believe that each poster should be criticized based on his or her own posts---not of those from his or her peers.

There are older folks here who make silly posts as well, and younger folks who make intelligent conversation.

Maybe I am still a little confused about what you guys want.

Originally posted by Elizabeth
For reasons I can't begin to fathom, there have even been cases with back to back, word for word identical threads "I want to LEARN JAPANESE!" or "My name in KANJI!" and so it goes, on and on and on..... :p

For this very reason, I posted some new guidelines in the Japanese language section yesterday.

Originally posted by Keeni84
I am confused about what you mean about layering of ages...Would it be something like, only 15-19 year olds can post here, and 15-19 year olds can post here, and 20+ can post everywhere, or what???

Don't worry this is not going to happen. Age is not a criteria in itself for the quality of posts. If I was really worry about "kids" posting immature comments, I would set the bar at 12, not 19. On the other hand there are grown-ups that are more immature than kids.

I am aware than teenagers represent a considerable part of the forum members, and we should therefore cope with them, not discriminate them on basis of their age.

Oh, okay, thank you guys! I was a little confused, is all. I agree with Elizabeth, though---seeing I want to LEARN JAPANESE for 5 lines straight just doesn't get us anywhere.

Originally posted by Maciamo
For this very reason, I posted some new guidelines in the Japanese language section yesterday.
Thanks, Maciamo. Another issue that comes up at least every other week is downloading Japanese fonts and Global IME for Windows or other operating systems. Pinning a link such as this for initial review might be another useful step.

https://jref.com/japanese/

@J-ref forum, hummmm \I am probably one of the biggest culprits of posting off threads and off on tangents🙂 That I have to recognise and bow too!! I"m also part of the immature section, (although I"m 34 years of age) hahaha Where do I group??? (I have participated quite a lot, In non-Japanese topics) and again I bow and accept!!😌 🙂 how-ever I have every confidence that the J-ref and Maciamo beginning will be that of the most exceptional and unbelievable beginnings🙂

I welcome there beginnings and the change!! As a new member!!! Opened armed and accepting what the new member brings!!!🙂 🙂

Sounds great to me. Esp. in the photo galleries. Keep up the good work!

I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DIE !!!

Man, thank God the Forum is back up. The past few weeks have been SOOOOOO LONELY!!! Now we just have to get in touch with all the old timers & let them know we're up !!

Frank

Hmmm but how do we conquer that mountain!!! maybe Thomas/maciamo,, could have a solution!!! without a lot of hassle of course! those guys need a rest now!!!(bow) You both have done an excellent job!!! rest and come back satisfied!!
your forum needs you!!

SETTING UP A SERVER IS .....

probably like getting a helicopter kit, putting it together, and flying it !
I don't think I would want to try it without alot of professional help !!
Glad you got it up & flying gentlemen, CONGRATS !!!

Frank

we members are delighted!! this forum mean alot to alot of people! me included
@ franks discription of contacting members lolol,, hhhmmmm thats sounds about right!!😭 well lets see what happens??? 😇

Originally posted by Eternal Wind
hope for more to return to the forum ne!

I don't think we'll have to worry too much about that with the new upgrade to the current best php forum software out there. Ah yes, so many useful options. 😄

I almost fell over when i logged on and found this forum gone! You could have left a message 😭

But its good to see its back, im a little worried about some of these 'changes' that your proposing. My suggestion is that you add a message and lock unwanted posts, serving as an example to others and like someone else said, most of the time the regulars will bombard dumb posts till they are dead anyhow.

Another thing is half the fun of the internet is not knowing exactly who you are talking to. Im only 18 but i could probably pull off any age in the scale of 12-50 if I tried hard enough. Such is the internet.

Good work, keep it up! 🌹

Back
Top Bottom