What's new

The cause of the problem

Well, Japanese youth WILL calm down, but that's not a question of "sitting it out". Some fundamental changes in society will be necessary, otherwise the problems will just simmer on and, eventually, worsen. Juveniles venting their agression are just one facet of this. The important thing to notice is that their violence, and also things as pop-culture etc., are just MANIFESTATIONS of fundamental structures/structural problems. The problems themselves remain hidden, and only careful observation can reveal them. The bad thing is, I think, that these problems can't be solved just by a few decisive measures from eg. politicians (and who'd expect that from Japanese politicians, anyway? Reforming government would be a necessary task on its own right). Extreme insight is required from all elements of society. But most probably, as often before in history, all efforts will merely be stabs at the dragon's tail, and everything will go down in chaos.

Did I miss something in my quick scan of this ancient thread or did everyone seek to place the blame for individual actions on outside influences and absolve the individuals of responsibility for their own choices?

Well, I don't think we're looking for culprits here, but for reasons. I think it is the basis of our modern understanding of law and the free will that every person is responsible for its actions. That needn't be discussed, I'm sure.

BUT

The question is, what makes the murderer a murderer in the first place? It's surely not "genes" when an entire generation quotes itself "I think nobody of us grew up without, at least once, wanting to kill their parents." (Ochiai 1997, free quote)
There are structural, societal problems in Japan that put extreme pressure and doubt on an individual from an early age on, and these factors can drive one to the limit or over it. You probably know how important all manners of escapism are in Japan. Otaku, MORPGers, goths, ... you name it. Murder or suicide in this case is a signal that something is seriously wrong. That doesn't free the murderer of his guilt, but... see?

I hope I could make a point.

I think it comes down to lack of discipline in the home and the increase of young people's rebellion against the traditional ways of Japan.

The Dad is usually a "salaryman" and the Mom is too often too busy keeping up the house or out shopping or gossiping with friends about other "friends". There is no time for correction not to mention discipline and limits.

Japan needs to have immediate consequences and make an example out of those who do commit these serious crimes. The U.S. could follow this advice too!

Back
Top Bottom