What's new

Tansu box translation

Luka0101

後輩
5 Jul 2018
Hello guys!

I purchased a tansu box and I need help with translation of some text that I found on it. Any help is MUCH appreciated!

This inscription was on the bottom:

text 1.jpg

On the front there are two paper stickers with faint text. Hopefully you'll be able to read at least some of it:

paper 1.jpg
paper 2.jpg

And lastly, each drawer has a single symbol inside:

drawers.jpg

Again, huuuge thanks for the help!

Attachments

• paper 2.jpg
    paper 2.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 50
The writing on the box says
文化十四丁丑歳十月六日
御隠殿
吟味役所金銀入

October 6, 1817
Money box for the office of the magistrate

the paper label #2 says 薬品 (medicine)
I can't read enough of the label #2 to tell you what it says... paper something, roll something. The item may have started out as a money safe, but ended up serving another function. If it really was made in 1817, it certain would have seen a lot of use. Did it come with the keys? If so, its a really nice find, I think.

@Majestic @Toritoribe
Thank you gentlemen for your quick replies!

wow, 1817 is very old. It's incredible!
No, it did not come with keys unfortunately, but from my experience getting one with the keys is pretty rare and expensive.

I googled the term magistrate as I wasn't familiar with it, and found this: Bugyō - Wikipedia
Would it be correct to assume this tansu was in an office of one of these Bugyō magistrates?

One other thing, I tried to google translate the transcript Majestic wrote and I got this:
Bunka 14 Yin Fire Ox October 6th
Shimogoinden
Examination Office Gold and Silver

Did google mess something up or does that make sense? The only result for Shimogoinden is a bridge in Tokyo.
And are Gold and Silver actually mentioned in the text or did google invent that up?

Thanks for the help guys, this detective research is extremely fun! :D

I googled the term magistrate as I wasn't familiar with it, and found this: Bugyō - Wikipedia
Would it be correct to assume this tansu was in an office of one of these Bugyō magistrates?
No. Magistrate just means government official. Nothing special.

Did google mess something up or does that make sense?
Google is completely wrong. He already translated it for you. The first line is the date in the Bunka era.

Majestic-san's translation "October 6, 1817" is the direct translation. Speaking strictly, 文化十四年十月六日 refers to Novenber 14, 1817 in the Gregorian calendar we are using today.

The second line is Goinden, not Shimogoinden, i.e., 御隠殿. Goinden refers to a house noble people live, so there are lots of houses of the same name in Japan.

吟味役所 roughly means criminal court office. Majestic-san translated it the office of the magistrate.

金銀 literally means Gold and Silver, but it's actually money here, as Majestic-san wrote.

Back
Top Bottom