What's new

Tang translation

I think the family name is Inami, and this would be the Inami family who still operates the Japan Sword shop in Toranomon. There is a picture of Inami Hakusui at their site here
http://www.japansword.co.jp/military.html
hey brother . hope all is well . will you be able to translate this? i am donating to forum now :)
kanji.jpg

Oh, sorry for that. Thanks for the correction, Majestic-san.:)
hey guys is there anybody i can pay to translate kanjis for me? please email me (mail address removed) thank you so much for your time. kris

Last edited by a moderator:
秋田住佐藤重則作之
Satō Shigenori in Akita made this (sword)

昭和十九年十一月吉日
a lucky day November, 1944

江村作 Emura-saku
A famous WW2-era swordmaker (or group of swordmakers making on behalf of Emura). More about him here
江村 Emura
dude thats super kool! thank you! im curious when i was in hajuku i went to the samurai sword museum and the guy did a demonstration dressed up like a warrior and i asked him if he had his own sword and he said he would go to jail if he had one. what are the procedures to owning like a family blade or a sword of your own?

what are the procedures to owning like a family blade or a sword of your own?
There are no procedures - just buy from a sword shop, or buy online. There is no law against owning an antique sword. The sword must be registered. Any sword from a shop will already be registered, so the purchaser doesn't have to do anything but buy the sword. It is not illegal to own an antique sword in Japan. Swords from the war are not considered antiques or "art swords", and are classified as weapons, and these swords are not allowed to be owned or bought/sold, unless they were made by traditional methods using traditional materials. In other words, factory-made swords are not allowed to be owned. But the rules on this are becoming very lax. You often find WW2-era factory-made swords for sale on the internet. (These are generally looked down upon by sword aficionados.) This is why the sword book you got is essential, because it should point you to quality swords.

There are no procedures - just buy from a sword shop, or buy online. There is no law against owning an antique sword. The sword must be registered. Any sword from a shop will already be registered, so the purchaser doesn't have to do anything but buy the sword. It is not illegal to own an antique sword in Japan. Swords from the war are not considered antiques or "art swords", and are classified as weapons, and these swords are not allowed to be owned or bought/sold, unless they were made by traditional methods using traditional materials. In other words, factory-made swords are not allowed to be owned. But the rules on this are becoming very lax. You often find WW2-era factory-made swords for sale on the internet. (These are generally looked down upon by sword aficionados.) This is why the sword book you got is essential, because it should point you to quality swords.
oh thats kool . i guess a lot of people are not aware of that they can own an antique one bc even the lady that worked there didnt know. and my bad it was shinjuku lol . i still have a video of that dude i even participated in the demonstration. i had fun . man i luv cruising japan

hey brother and can anyone translate this please . sorry i will donate to forum again :) in fact ill make donation now
tang.jpg

埋忠重義
Umetada Shigeyoshi

Google search results say that Umetada Shigeyoshi is a metalworker of tsuba, not a swordsmith.

埋忠重義
Umetada Shigeyoshi

Google search results say that Umetada Shigeyoshi is a metalworker of tsuba, not a swordsmith.
tang.jpg

hey guys would you be able to tell me what this says? its way out of my price range but am so curious to see if its a famous smith. the y said its a blade made for the tokugawa family

康継以南蠻鐵
於武州江戸作之
Yasutsugu Namban tetsu wo motte
Bushū Edo ni oite kore wo tsukuru
Yasutsugu made this (sword) using imported iron in Edo, Musashi Province.

Thus, the name of the swordsmith is Yasutsugu. I can't judge if it's genuine or not, though.

康継以南蠻鐵
於武州江戸作之

Thus, the name of the swordsmith is Yasutsugu. I can't judge if it's genuine or not, though.
right on! thank you! ya i think it is genuine but the blade is badly damaged so i dont think its worth much

康継以南蠻鐵
於武州江戸作之

hey brother do you think you can translate this? donating to forum now
sword.jpg

長光作
Nagamitsu saku
Made by Nagamitsu

The swordsmith is 市原長光 Ichihara Nagamitsu / 一龍子長光 Ichiryūshi Nagamitsu. Seems like the same person of this sword.
日本刀 刀 長光作(一龍子)|日本刀 刀剣販売 e-sword
日本刀 脇差 長光作(一龍子・年代昭和)|日本刀 刀剣販売 e-sword
yes it is ! :) man i wish i could read this stuff. i got one character down which is saku :) other than that its smoke n mirrors lol. thank you for the translation brother!

長光作
Nagamitsu saku
Made by Nagamitsu

The swordsmith is 市原長光 Ichihara Nagamitsu / 一龍子長光 Ichiryūshi Nagamitsu. Seems like the same person of this sword.
日本刀 刀 長光作(一龍子)|日本刀 刀剣販売 e-sword
日本刀 脇差 長光作(一龍子・年代昭和)|日本刀 刀剣販売 e-sword

hey brothers hope all is good. i came acrosss this blade today. do you think you might be able to translate the nakago. blade is in bad shape but just wanna know an idea of its worth. thanx so much for your time guys
kanji.jpg

紀州住安重作
Kishū jū Yasushige saku
Made by Yasushige in Kii Province

I can't get any information about the swardsmith.

The first, third and last kanji would be 笠, 慎 and 郎, respectively, and the one above 郎 must be 一, 二 or 三, but the rest are too blurry to read.

Back
Top Bottom