What's new

Talking with japanese people

TheAce

先輩
11 Apr 2010
What I want to do after my study is to go studying in Japan for a while, and I would love to get in contact with Japanese people from about my age (16-18) to learn to speak the language and to learn more about japan

In europe we mostly use Live Messenger (MSN) or Ebuddy to talk to each other, is that also being used in japan? if so, how can I get in contact with japanese people by using that? if not so, are there ways to get in contact with japanese people?

If you want to get in contact with Japanese people you could try to find them on Facebook, or even twitter. There is also a Japanese network service called Mixi, but you should be able to have some knowledge of the Japanese language to use it.

you could try to post and add in the classifieds section of this forum as well.

There are several sites other than those mentioned, each with their own ups and downs. My favourite is lang8, but this blog goes into more detail about what you can expect (sorry for link): accessj.com/2010/11/want-japanese-penpal-heres-how-to-find.html

The general deal is like a penpal except yo ucan also skype each other (if you want). Lang8 takes things a little further and is great for getting very helpful advice.

I wouldn't bother pursuing Mixi unless you have a cell phone in Japan with email (required to sign-up). Also you have to be invited to join it (thats the easy part).

If you want to "go studying in Japan for a while", why not get a student visa to be on an exchange program? The experience will put you in the midst of students 8-10 hours a day. I don't understand why you think it makes sense to travel thousands of miles to talk to people on a computer when face to face is far better.

Keep in mind that Japanese students your age are very shy about speaking in English. Even if you try using Japanese with them, unless you are reasonably fluent, they will hesitate because you are a foreigner, and they will automatically assume communication is impossible to difficult. Being in a school situation gives the surrounding students a chance to get used to you and lower their barriers a bit.

I wouldn't bother pursuing Mixi unless you have a cell phone in Japan with email (required to sign-up). Also you have to be invited to join it (thats the easy part).

There is a way around it for University students, if you have an email account with your Uni and have an address with "edu" or something as its end, you get to skip the mobile part, at least thats how I did it, but they might have changed the rules again.

learning japanese language

hi, good evening.

there is some people who want to learn english language.
and in return want to teach japanese language. i also want to make language exchange.
i have some opportunity to write and read english sentence.but i hardly have chance to chat by enlish. so, if i have some chance, i am very happy. my skype id is aktosn036327759.
i am willing to teach you japanese language.

What I want to do after my study is to go studying in Japan for a while, and I would love to get in contact with Japanese people from about my age (16-18) to learn to speak the language and to learn more about japan
In europe we mostly use Live Messenger (MSN) or Ebuddy to talk to each other, is that also being used in japan? if so, how can I get in contact with japanese people by using that? if not so, are there ways to get in contact with japanese people?

i guess this is a good start, but if you know enough japanese, why don't you try looking in forums that are in japanese. that would be a good place to find people that actually speak japanese.

In my first visit in Japan, I got no clue on what the people are saying. Because, at that time, I don't know any language of Japan, even the simple konnichiwa or konnbanwa. :) Even though I am not able to communicate with them, I surely did enjoy the presentations and their culture. As well as their food, music, and entertainment. And, after a month of staying there, I promised myself that when I go back to Japan, I'll be very proficient of their language to be able to interact with them,. Now, I know some languages, coz I barely practice and practice on speaking their language. And, after a moment of time, I'll be getting fluent and after studying their language, I'll b studying the written. It's not too late for me to learn.

Back
Top Bottom