What's new

Symbol on helmet

Jags1

後輩
2 Oct 2018
Morning,

Came across this WWII pith helmet with, what appears to be, a hand-drawn symbol on the front of it. Does anyone have any idea as to what it represents?
Also, if someone can offer information on the tags, that would, also, be appreciated.
IMG_2326.JPG
IMG_2328.JPG
IMG_2326.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2327.JPG
    IMG_2327.JPG
    382.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_2329.JPG
    IMG_2329.JPG
    358.3 KB · Views: 148
I Googled "Japanese Imperial Army Sun Helmet" and found a lot of pictures and info. None I found showed that symbol , most has some type of small star in that location. If you follow the links there you might find more info. Hopefully someone here will give you more detailed info.

Tag inside helmet:
小田郡山田村中
Oda-gun, Yamadamura naka (location names: Oda county, Yamada village. This is in Okayama prefecture)
笠原重雄 Kasahara Shigeo (personal name. Kasahara/Kasawara is the family name, Shigeo is the first name)
This leads me to believe the symbol in the front of the helmet is the owners initials - SK - written stylisticly overlapping.

The other, very faint label, reads
昭和十九
Showa 19 (1944)

In addition, the right side of 昭和十九 is 號, thus, the number written/printed above this kanji shows the size of the helmet.

I Googled "Japanese Imperial Army Sun Helmet" and found a lot of pictures and info. None I found showed that symbol , most has some type of small star in that location. If you follow the links there you might find more info. Hopefully someone here will give you more detailed info.
Many thanks!

Back
Top Bottom