What's new

Stylistics of spoken Japanese

4 Apr 2014
I will be having a video interview with a language school on February 12th. And i thought about preparing some phrases in advance. Since that will be a conversation i tried to stick to spoken Japanese stylistics, but now i have some doubts and questions (marked in red)
I would really appreciate if anyone gives some feedback on the phrases i intend to use.

This is the first set of phrases, designed for a conversation about my interests an Japanese experience. The second and third sets are on the way (reasons for choosing that particular school and my plans after graduation)

Please note that it is not the complete text, and i will not just read it during the interview as i mostly intend to adlib. Just some phrases i'd like to use.

日本に対する興味を持ち始めたのは子供の頃です。幼稚園入学際にして(isn't 際にして too official here?)両親にファミコンを買ってもらいました。
「うおぉ!かっこういい!」と盛り上がって(can i actually use かっこうう with inanimate objects, or should i stick to すごい)、ファミコンにしびれるようになりました。そしてある日、特にきれいなタイトル画面の仮名や漢字を眺めながら「ねぇ、あの変な文字はなんなの?」と,父さんに聞きました。
「あれはね、日本語だよ。」と、父さんが教えました。あれから日本語に気付くようになりました(what i'm trying to say here is that from then on i distinguished Japanese from other languages, is 気付く appropriate here?)
中高生の頃アニメ観たり、ゲームやったりして興味を深めていきました。
大学生の時日本料理、音楽、映画、文化、技術に憧れて「あ~あ、日本へ行ければいいなぁ。日本語が分かればいいなぁ」と夢を二つ持ち始めました。でも家族はそれほど儲けないで、日本への旅行はずっと夢のままでした。一方日本語が分かるようになるには、日本語を学ばなければならないと悟って(思い至って?)「やってみようかな」と夢が希望に変わった。あれを切っ掛けにネットでいろんな情報をまとめて、日本人の友達作って日本語を学び始めました。途中で日本に関係するさまざまなものにはまっていきました。歴史、建築、漫画に小説、面白いことでは大相撲。大学研究論文まではロシアと日本との経済連携が話題になりました。
そうして2017年の夏、日本語能力試験N3に満点合格してから(should i brag about 満点 or better be humble?)、2017年の冬の能力試N2に合格しました。
だが私の日本語には未だに欠点がたくさんあります。読解力はとにかく文句が無し、さまざまなテキストを辞書使わないでも(can i actually use 使わずに or is used in written Japanese only?読めます。
聴解も大分できます。自分の言いたいことを辞書を使ってなんとか書けますますが、時間を随分かかって困ります。
でも一番下手なのがやっぱり会話力です。口を開くと敬語がタメ口と混ざって(is that how i say that different politeness levels appear together in my spoken Japanese?)、失敗だらけの話し方になってたまりません。
おまけに発話のペースはあまり速やかではありません。この欠点を日本へ行けばこそ克服出来ると信じています。

幼稚園入学際にして(isn't 際にして too official here?)
The word order is wrong. It's 幼稚園入学に際して. And yes, I think it sounds too stiff.

「うおぉ!かっこういい!」と盛り上がって(can i actually use かっこうう with inanimate objects, or should i stick to すごい)
The chice of the word is no problem, but it's usually written and pronounced as かっこいい.

父さんに聞きました。
父 is appropriate in formal scene.

父さんが教えました。
父が教えてくれました。

あれから
それから

日本語に気付くようになりました(what i'm trying to say here is that from then on i distinguished Japanese from other languages, is 気付く appropriate here?)
日本語に気付く is understandable, but I would use 日本語が目に留まる.

中高生の頃アニメ観たり、ゲームやったりして興味を深めていきました。
アニメを観たり、ゲームをやったり
It's better not to omit particles in formal speech.

でも家族はそれほど儲けないで、
I would say 家はそれほど裕福ではないので.

悟って(思い至って?
Both are OK.

夢が希望に変わった。
変わりました

あれを切っ掛けに
それを切っ掛けに

日本人の友達作って
日本人の友達を作って

面白いことでは大相撲。
面白いことでは is not wrong, but 面白いところでは sounds more natural.

大学研究論文まではロシアと日本との経済連携が話題になりました。
大学研究論文ではロシアと日本の経済連携(or 日本との経済連携 without ロシアと)が主題になりました/を主題にしました。

満点合格してから(should i brag about 満点 or better be humble?)
満点で合格して
I think no preblem to say it.

能力試N2に合格しました
typo 能力試験N2

だが私の日本語には未だに欠点がたくさんあります。
だが sounds too written-language-like. でも is better.

読解力はとにかく文句が無し、
I would say 読解力には自信があり、 instead.

さまざまなテキストを辞書使わないでも(can i actually use 使わずに or is used in written Japanese only?読めます。
さまざまな文書を、辞書を使わなくても読めます
You can use 使わずに, too.

時間を随分かかって困ります。
時間が随分かかって困ります。

でも一番下手なのがやっぱり会話力です。
でも一番下手/苦手なのはやっぱり会話です。

口を開くと敬語がタメ口と混ざって(is that how i say that different politeness levels appear together in my spoken Japanese?)
タメ口 sunds too slangy. I would say 敬語と普通体が混ざって.

話し方になってたまりません。
話し方になってしまいます。

発話のペースはあまり速やかではありません。
Grammaticall correct, but 話すペースはあまり速くありません。is more natural.

この欠点を日本へ行けばこそ克服出来ると信じています。
この欠点は日本へ行ってこそ克服出来ると信じています。

Totally not bad. Good luck on your interview.(y)

it's usually written and pronounced as かっこいい.
That was my first thought, but then i hesitated and looked it up in a dictionary and ended up thinking かっこいい is an alternative spelling.

It's better not to omit particles in formal speech.
I'll try not to.

家はそれほど裕福ではないので.
I really wanted to use 家「うち」 at first, but then i thought it does not belong to formal speech. Now that you mentioned it - i will stick to 家「うち」. And thanks for suggesting 裕福! I've been coming across it a lot lately and now i get an opportunity to use it in a context of my own.
I would say 読解力には自信があり、 instead.
Oh, i totally forgot about 自信がある.

And thank you for all the other suggestions and corrections! I've analyzed them thoroughly.

Here is the second set of phrases.

・・・日本留学のために中国の亜熱帯に位置する深圳市でお金を稼いでいるので、今年の冬(今冬? この冬? How do i call this winters that it is not confused with the next winter?)を堪能出来ません。来冬こそ(つぎこそ?つぎのふゆこそ?)雪のいっぱい降る本格的な冬を楽しみたいです。
輝く白銀の世界をスキーで滑りたり、雪を眺めながら露天風呂で浸かったりして休日を過ごすのは素敵ではないでしょうか?
その故に(ain't it too bookish?)北海道か豪雪地帯かどちらかで留学したいです。

Last edited:
I really wanted to use 家「うち」 at first, but then i thought it does not belong to formal speech.
Actually I meant the reading いえ, but うち is also acceptable there. Indeed, it's a bit casual, though.

日本留学のために
There is no problem with 日本留学のために, but 日本に留学するために sounds more natural.

今年の冬(今冬? この冬? How do i call this winters that it is not confused with the next winter?)
今年の冬 and この冬 are both OK. Strictly speeking, this winter indeed started in the last year, but 今年の冬 is usually interpreted as "this winter" from the context.

堪能出来ません
堪能出来ていません or 堪能できませんでした

来冬こそ(つぎこそ?つぎのふゆこそ?)
来冬 is uncommon. I would use 次の冬 or 今度の冬. 来年の冬 is also acceptable in the same sence as 今年の冬.

滑りたり
たり

露天風呂で浸かったりして
露天風呂浸かったりして

その故に(ain't it too bookish?)
Right. だから is more common.

北海道か豪雪地帯かどちらかで留学したいです
北海道か豪雪地帯どちらか留学したいです

Thank you very much, Toritoribe.
The interview went quite well. Although just as i expected i didn't have an opportubity to use most of the phrases - but at least i used some of them. And knowing that i have them prepared provided extra confidence anyway.

Funny thing is - i used both 滑たり and 露天風呂浸かったり :LOL:. But the interviewers agreed that i belong to the higher-level group i was hoping to be accepted to anyway. The most interesting part was when they showed me some cards with kanji compounds and asked me to read them and make up some 文例 with those words on the spot.

Oh, you clearly wrote that your interview was on February 12. My reply was too late. Sorry!

the interviewers agreed that i belong to the higher-level group
Yeah, I agree with them. Your speech definitely can convey what you want to say correctly. Hope we can hear good news from you!

Back
Top Bottom