What's new

News Strong quake jolts Osaka

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
We had an earthquake yesterday afternoon in the Kanto region (the epicentre was in Gunma Prefecture), but that was nothing compared to today's tremor in Osaka.

At least three people killed, several injured after strong earthquake rattles Osaka area

One of the most powerful earthquakes to rock the Kansai region in decades struck Osaka and neighbouring prefectures Monday morning, leaving at least three people dead and a number of others injured. The earthquake, measuring magnitude 6.1 and a lower 6 on the Japanese seismic scale of 7, hit at 7:58 a.m. and occurred at a depth of about 13 km in the northern part of Osaka Prefecture, the Meteorological Agency said. No tsunami warning was issued.

A 9-year-old girl in Takatsuki, Osaka Prefecture, was confirmed dead after being struck when a wall surrounding a swimming pool fell on her as she walked by. Also in the prefecture, a man in his 80s from Ibaraki died after he was crushed by a bookshelf at his home, according to the Osaka Prefectural Government. NHK also said an 80-year-old man in the city of Osaka died after being hit by a falling wall, while a number of other people were also feared dead. A number of injuries and dozens of fires were reported from Osaka, Hyogo, Kyoto and Mie prefectures, according to local police and city authorities.

Source: At least three people killed, several injured after strong earthquake rattles Osaka area | The Japan Times

大阪震度6弱:M6.1 3人死亡91人けが - 毎日新聞

大阪北部地震で9歳女児ら3人死亡 けが人情報も相次ぐ:朝日新聞デジタル

My heart goes out to the families of the deceased.
It's my first time experiencing an earthquake this strong so I was kind of shaken. The fact that the tremors woke me up didn't help .

A magnitude 5.9 earthquake struck Osaka at approximately 8:00 am JST. There have been three confirmed deaths, and reports of more than 50 other casualties. Train lines in the area are currently suspended. No tsunami warning has been issued. The weather agency has issued a warning against landslides, adding that people should be cautious about possible aftershocks for a few days. In Osaka Prefecture, about 170,800 homes and buildings were without power as of 9:30 am. U.S. citizens in the area should monitor local news and follow directions from local officials. Information on affected areas is available in English from the Japan Meteorological Agency: Japan Meteorological Agency | Earthquake Information.

The U.S. Consulate in Osaka continues to operate under normal conditions. U.S. citizens traveling or living in the affected region: please let friends and family know you are safe. Any related inquires can be directed to the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo or the U.S. Consulate in Osaka. U.S. Embassy Tokyo Tel: 03-3224-5000 (from Japan), +81 3-3224-5000 (from the US) Email: [email protected]. U.S. Consulate General Osaka Tel: 06-6315-5900 (from Japan), +81 6-6315-5900 (from the US) Email: [email protected].

I'm currently visiting my girlfriend in Osaka, I'm from the UK so this is the first time I've actually experienced an earthquake. My girlfriends place is in Ikeda-Shi so think we experienced a 5弱 considering the epicenter was a bit further north) definitely a weird experience. Have had a few weak 4 after shocks as well through the night and this morning.

Last edited:
Felt a 4 here in Kobe, Nada ward. House was shaking quite a lot. First time to experience it. But the quake itself wasn't the scariest part, it was more the things around it: where are my kids, I can't go to work, have to pick up my wife by car (traffic jams everywhere) and the fear of having it come again the days after. The aftershocks at night.

Let's see what will happen.

Back
Top Bottom