What's new

Strange sentence

The7thSamurai

Master of the Universe
4 Feb 2005
Hey everyone, what do you think about this sentence. It's from last year's JLPT level 2 test:

医者には二、三日で治ると言われたが、よくなるところ かますます悪くなってきた。

I'm pretty sure it means something like "The doctor said I'd be better in two days, but am I on the verge of getting better or am I going to get worse and worse?"

That's the only way I'm understanding it but it seems a bit illogical if the doctor has just told him he's going to get better in two days, that'd wonder if he was going to get worse? Maybe he's worried that he'll get worse than he is now, then finally in 3 days get better.

What do you think?

What do you think?

I suggest doing a little investigation on the phrase "どころか". Hoepfully everything should become clear.

Ahh, why was I reading it as ところか and not どころか??? I could have saved so much time!

"Although my doctor said I'd recover in two or three days, far from getting better I've got worse and worse."

Hey everyone, what do you think about this sentence. It's from last year's JLPT level 2 test:
医者には二、三日で治ると言われたが、よくなるところかますます悪くなってきた。
I'm pretty sure it means something like "The doctor said I'd be better in two days, but am I on the verge of getting better or am I going to get worse and worse?"
That's the only way I'm understanding it but it seems a bit illogical if the doctor has just told him he's going to get better in two days, that'd wonder if he was going to get worse? Maybe he's worried that he'll get worse than he is now, then finally in 3 days get better.
What do you think?
It's not a matter so much of being illogical in English but if you want to say this in Japanese it is going to be much more like 医者には二、三日で治ると言われたが、本当に速くよくなるか、ますます悪くなってくるか(よくわからない・のかな)。。。

Dictionary form + ところ=about to do something
て+きた=Something has already happened

~どころか might be translated as "on the contrary".
It's less textbookish English than "far from" although I think for these type sentences I would normally use the "not only...not...but (on the contrary) pattern.

"Not only did I not get better, (but, on the contrary) I (actually) started getting worse."

Back
Top Bottom