What's new

Some revision help!

Lacota

Sempai
3 Aug 2015
I am revising through the festive holiday, and have come across some grammar that I am not too sure of.

おなかがすきましたね。あのレストラン入りませんか。

ゆうびんきょくそくたつ出しいきました。

Do I have these particles correct? I am unsure mostly of the second sentence. Thanks in advance.

Regards.

The first sentence is fine, but the second sentence is not correct. The way you have it would mean 'The post office's express delivery went the putting out' (to the extent that you can translate an ungrammatical sentence into an ungrammatical sentence).

The post office is where the action takes place.

出す still behaves the same even though it's in stem form and continues into another grammar. It's a transitive verb.

There's a common grammar used to link a verb in stem form to verb of motion (usually いく) to indicate going somewhere for the purpose of doing something.

The first sentence is fine, but the second sentence is not correct. The way you have it would mean 'The post office's express delivery went the putting out' (to the extent that you can translate an ungrammatical sentence into an ungrammatical sentence).

The post office is where the action takes place.

出す still behaves the same even though it's in stem form and continues into another grammar. It's a transitive verb.

There's a common grammar used to link a verb in stem form to verb of motion (usually いく) to indicate going somewhere for the purpose of doing something.

ゆうびんきょくそくたつ出しいきました。
Is this better?

Thanks kindly for your help. I think I understood most of it. Although the use of いく is new to me.

Have you learned the structure "to go somewhere to do something "? This is the key, as Chris-san explained. ゆうびんきょく is the location where you go, and そくたつ is the object of 出す. You must know the particles for these purpose.

Have you learned the structure "to go somewhere to do something "? This is the key, as Chris-san explained. ゆうびんきょく is the location where you go, and そくたつ is the object of 出す. You must know the particles for these purpose.

なにか - Something.
どこか - Somewhere.

This is the lesson I am covering currently. In the risk of looking silly, I shall try again.

ゆうびんきょくそくたつ出しいきました。

I would appreciate some help!

I have to find examples to finish these two sentences. The red colouring being my attempt.

つかれましたから、何も はたらきたくないです。(でした?)- I notice past tense.

今おなかがいっぱいですから、何も _________________________

I am stuck on the second example because I can't translate おなかがいっぱい. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

はたらく is intransitive so doesn't work here, just like "I don't want to work anything" sounds weird in English. Try する or やる.

おなか が いっぱい is the opposite of おなか が すいた: to be full (after eating).

はたらく is intransitive so doesn't work here, just like "I don't want to work anything" sounds weird in English. Try する or やる.

おなか が いっぱい is the opposite of おなか が すいた: to be full (after eating).

Would したくないですwork instead for the first sentence?

Thanks for the translation. 今おなかがいっぱいですから、何もたべたくないです。Is this OK?

この手紙、かきとめ()おねがいします。
Am I right in thinking there isn't a particle here in this sentence? Or could it be ''? I am stuck between the two.....

I hope I am not far wrong!

おくさんはどのくらい日本語をべんきょうしましたか。
If I were to answer this question, would the word 'おくさん' change when talking about ones own wife? I know this is the case with other family members. Stuck with husband and wife, though.

It becomes つま(妻). I'm not sure for husband though, but according to this site, it can be either しゅじん or おっと.

Yes, I replied to a similar question about the husband with おっと. So at least I have that right. Thanks again for your help.

It becomes つま(妻). I'm not sure for husband though, but according to this site, it can be either しゅじん or おっと.
家内 (かない) is also a term for 'my wife', although perhaps it's becoming old-fashioned. It was always the right answer in my textbook, but that's a pretty old book now.

Good to know. Thanks.

You also need to be aware that those in-group reference terms aren't used only for speaking of others. They also use them when speaking to outside people in reference to you. For example, you father would introduce himself to your friend, teacher, etc. as ラコタの父(ちち)です. My wife would introduce herself to you as マイケルの妻(つま)です。 The same applies for all relations which have a double set of terms for in-group and out-group.

Similarly, 奥さん doesn't always mean "your wife". It can also be used as a pronoun replacement and simply mean "you". So in a sentence like 奥さんはどのぐらい日本語を勉強しましたか without any other context it is actually impossible to state with any certainty whether the speaker is addressing a man and asking about the man's wife or if the speaker is asking the question directly to the woman. This phenomenon abounds in daily usage.

You also need to be aware that those in-group reference terms aren't used only for speaking of others. They also use them when speaking to outside people in reference to you. For example, you father would introduce himself to your friend, teacher, etc. as ラコタの父(ちち)です. My wife would introduce herself to you as マイケルの妻(つま)です。 The same applies for all relations which have a double set of terms for in-group and out-group.

Similarly, 奥さん doesn't always mean "your wife". It can also be used as a pronoun replacement and simply mean "you". So in a sentence like 奥さんはどのぐらい日本語を勉強しましたか without any other context it is actually impossible to state with any certainty whether the speaker is addressing a man and asking about the man's wife or if the speaker is asking the question directly to the woman. This phenomenon abounds in daily usage.

I appreciate you taking the time to tell me this. Thank you very much. :)

レストランにワットさんがいます
Could someone translate that for me? It should be easy enough, but my dictionary isn't helping with this word. It happens more often than not actually. Thanks forum.

Back
Top Bottom