What's new

Some questions about registering for utility providers

hiverloon

先輩
23 Aug 2015
In the near future I will move in to a private-owned apartment and that means I will have to arrange all the utility supplies (water, gas, electricity). Can someone kindly inform me the procedures of registration to the providing companies? Also, is it possible to register to those companies before I register my new room address to the city office? I will get the room key by the end of this month but I have officially signed the contract and pay the initial fees, does it already allow me to register my room address in the city office before I get the key?

The real estate agency didn't give you all the information on the utilities? That seems odd.

Since none of us know where you live we have no way of finding the contact information for you.

All the documents I received from them are written in Japanese so I guess certain information about the utilities is probably there. But my one think for sure that I need to have utility companies provide me the needed supplies. My new room is in Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo.

You're going to need to get someone who can read Japanese to look at your paperwork and help you out.

The information about where and when to throw your trash out is probably also in there.

I've met plenty of people with very limited Japanese that manage to live alone and sort out utility bills, taxes, etc., which suggests that if you phone them directly, apologise for your poor Japanese and ask if they have any English speakers, you may get all your questions answered.

By the way, I work in Bunkyo-ku, nice place to be living.

You should be able to do any of it that doesn't require physical access to the apartment. Electricity and water are probably alright, but the gas company will probably want to verify that the gas taps are turned off before they start your gas service (for the obvious reason).

I was informed by the housing agency that the water will be readily supplied by the land lord (and hence the water bill is paid to him) so no need to make appointment with water provider. Yeah I think the gas can wait until one or two days after I have the key since the actual large scale moving-in is not on the same day I will get the key. The most important for the first few days is the electricity since I am going to need to turn on the AC while setting up my stuffs there.

Back
Top Bottom