What's new

Some practice sentences I'm not sure about.

But I suppose you could say 頭がいいから勉強せず(に)試験を合格しました。
The problem of 私の頭がいいおかげ is that it sounds rather arrogant. Even if the subject is not the speaker, e.g., 彼は頭がいいおかげで, it could sound sarcastic. As mdchachi-san used, から or ので is more appropriate in your example.
e.g.
彼は頭がいいので、あまり勉強せずに試験に合格した。
彼は頭がいいので、あまり勉強しないで試験に合格した。
彼は頭がいいので、あまり勉強しなくても試験に合格した。
(This も means "even".)
My sentences sometimes tend to become a bit odd, because I normally work with a limited pool of vocabulary (I learn 20 new ones per day and try to use as much as possible of those in one sentence, because each time I repeat one of the included words I read the sentence and repeat all the included words by that. That helps memorizing them a lot).
But if I ever try to say something like that for real I will do it in that way.
Thanks for the additional examples. In most cases examples using different grammar, but meaning the same thing, help me a lot in understanding the grammar.
Thanks also to mdchachi-san.

おかげ performs as a noun, so the attributive form (short form of verb/i-adjective, the stem of na-adjective + な, noun + の) is used to modify it.
e.g.
彼がいたおかげで仕事が早く済んだ。
値段が安いおかげでたくさん買えた。
部屋が静かなおかげでよく眠れた。
彼女のおかげで助かった。

The problem of 私の頭がいいおかげ is that it sounds rather arrogant. Even if the subject is not the speaker, e.g., 彼は頭がいいおかげで, it could sound sarcastic.
I see, I thought maybe 頭のおかげで has to stay connected for some reason.
Well the sentence might be a bit strange, but at least I know now how to fit in an adjective or verb in such a construction, which was what I tried to understand :emoji_grin:

From now on I will have to learn a lot for exams, so for a while I will stop asking new questions due to my limited time. Eventually I will be back though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom