What's new

Signature on Japanese Sword

Bunkerhill

Sempai
17 Aug 2016
This one might be difficult to figure out a the size of the photo I am dealing with is pretty small.

Have asked for a larger one but not sure if I will receive one. Can anyone make out the signature?

As always, my sincere thanks.
Japanese.jpg

Its purporting to be a WW2 sword, but the name is an unknown (and partially illegible?) name
平岩之介 Hiraiwa something-no-suke
As far as I know, there is no known WW2 smith by the name of Hiraiwa. You can see a pretty complete list of WW2 smiths at the site here
JAPANESE RIKUGUN JUMEI TOSHO SWORDSMITHS

But the sword should tell you what it is, not the signature (which are often faked). The pictures of this sword are too far away to get a good look at the hamon, the yokote, the kissaki, and any of the furnishings. There are lot of authentic WW2 blades for sale. No need to gamble on something like this.

Thank you.

What I have been told is that while the sword is much older than WWII it was refitted to be used during the war.

I think I'm going to ask for a number of high resolution images of the blade to double check everything. I apologize for the poor quality images. As I was sent better images of the signature I think the owner will oblige with sharper photos.

Back
Top Bottom