What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Signature on Japanese Sword

Bunkerhill

後輩
Reaction score
This one might be difficult to figure out a the size of the photo I am dealing with is pretty small.

Have asked for a larger one but not sure if I will receive one. Can anyone make out the signature?

As always, my sincere thanks.
Japanese.jpg

Bunkerhill

後輩
Reaction score
Here is a much larger scan and in the correct position.

japanese sword III.jpg

Last edited:

Bunkerhill

後輩
Reaction score
I can ask for better photos but this is what I have to work with so far.

JS1.jpg
JS2.jpg
JS3.jpg
JS4.jpg
JS6.jpg
JS7.jpg

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
Its purporting to be a WW2 sword, but the name is an unknown (and partially illegible?) name
平岩之介 Hiraiwa something-no-suke
As far as I know, there is no known WW2 smith by the name of Hiraiwa. You can see a pretty complete list of WW2 smiths at the site here
JAPANESE RIKUGUN JUMEI TOSHO SWORDSMITHS

But the sword should tell you what it is, not the signature (which are often faked). The pictures of this sword are too far away to get a good look at the hamon, the yokote, the kissaki, and any of the furnishings. There are lot of authentic WW2 blades for sale. No need to gamble on something like this.

Bunkerhill

後輩
Reaction score
Thank you.

What I have been told is that while the sword is much older than WWII it was refitted to be used during the war.

Bunkerhill

後輩
Reaction score
I think I'm going to ask for a number of high resolution images of the blade to double check everything. I apologize for the poor quality images. As I was sent better images of the signature I think the owner will oblige with sharper photos.

Top Bottom