What's new

Science thread

Mycernius

The Hairy Wookie
4 Feb 2005
I know there is an astronomy thread, but I feel that other aspects of science should have a thread to be discussed or spread new discoveries or vids on, so here it is.
To start with I am giving a link to anyone with an interest in chemistry to this youtube account
http://www.youtube.com/user/periodicvideos
They are based at Nottingham University and cover the elements, molecules and the occassional silly experiments (thermite destroying halloween pumpkins:)). I think they are a set of good videos especially anyone who is currently doing chemistry at school or college.

I like this page of explanations of the Higgs boson, which were originally published in Physics World magazine. David Miller's explanation has become the standard analogy.

I thought of another analogy. Imagine space as a pond whose surface is perfectly still. There are some objects floating on the surface of the pond. These represent matter. Imagine you skim a stone across the surface of the pond. This stone is the Higgs boson, and the ripples it creates are the Higgs field. The distortion of the surface is greater closer to the stone. The ripples interact with the floating objects, causing them to move and create distortions of their own, in the same way that particles' mass distorts space.

I just want to share this flash. It's the scale of the universe from quantum foam all the way up to the universe itself. It's quite fascinating.

Some nice links there folks !! I really like that Ruu~ san ! Thanks ! (if I find some I can share [I have some which I basically can't]), I'll do it.

Haha, glad you like it.

Ah, crows are wonderful birds. I've watched lots of clips about their problem solving skills - one of which involved a crow progressively dragging a bin bag out of a bin to reach the food at the bottom.

I'm intrigued by this fellow from the channel Mycernius posted. I dare say he embodies the stereotype of a mad scientist.

I'm partial to biology and evolution so I shall share one of my favourite programs about both. It's called 'Inside Nature's Giants', some people from the UK might have heard of it. Alongside in depth autopsies performed on animals that have pushed evolution to the extreme, it has segments on natural selection from Richard Darkins.

The first part of the first one is here, the rest of the episodes are also on there. (Don't watch it if you're not fond of gruesome stuff!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom