What's new

Science Robots face the future

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Researchers at the University of Tokyo have developed a method to attach artificial skin from human skin cells to robot faces. This technique allows robots to mimic human expressions, such as smiling, using a flexible face mask to move into different expressions. The artificial skin is durable, elastic, and capable of self-healing, which enhances the robots' human-like appearance and functionality. This advancement aims to improve communication and empathy in human-robot interactions, making robots more effective in healthcare and companionship.

400242951.png

Photo credit: Takeuchi et al. CC-BY-ND

In 2022, the research team developed a robotic finger covered in living skin, allowing the machine's digit to bend like a human finger, giving it the tactility to perform more precise tasks. Professor Takeuchi's team had tried anchoring the skin with mini-hooks, but those caused tears as the robot moved. So, the team decided to mimic ligaments, the tiny ropes of loose tissue that connect bones. Team members drilled small, V-shaped holes into the robot and applied a gel containing collagen, which plugged the holes and tethered the artificial skin to the robot. "This approach integrates traditional rigid robots with soft, biological skins, making them more 'humanlike,'" said Yifan Wang, an assistant professor at the School of Mechanical and aerospace engineering at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore who researches "soft robots" that mimic biological creatures.

The faces of the robots with artificial skin in Professor Takeuchi's lab cannot sense touch, temperature change or other external stimuli. Professor Takeuchi said that is his next research target. "We aim to create skin that closely mimics the functionality of real skin by gradually constructing essential components such as blood vessels, nerves, sweat glands, sebaceous glands and hair follicles," he said. A robot's electronics would need to power a sensor signal instead of the neural systems that convey sensation in the human body. This development, Professor Wang said, would require much more time and research.

Researchers at the University of Tokyo have developed a method to attach artificial skin from human skin cells to robot faces. This technique allows robots to mimic human expressions, such as smiling, using a flexible face mask to move into different expressions. The artificial skin is durable, elastic, and capable of self-healing, which enhances the robots' human-like appearance and functionality. This advancement aims to improve communication and empathy in human-robot interactions, making robots more effective in healthcare and companionship.

View attachment 117150
Photo credit: Takeuchi et al. CC-BY-ND

The faces of the robots with artificial skin in Professor Takeuchi's lab cannot sense touch, temperature change or other external stimuli. Professor Takeuchi said that is his next research target. "We aim to create skin that closely mimics the functionality of real skin by gradually constructing essential components such as blood vessels, nerves, sweat glands, sebaceous glands and hair follicles," he said. A robot's electronics would need to power a sensor signal instead of the neural systems that convey sensation in the human body. This development, Professor Wang said, would require much more time and research.

This is actually somewhat scary if you think where all this -- along with the AI advancements -- could lead.

The robot which is not convenience.
A feeble robot.

The trash box robot which cannot pick up garbage, a robot to fidget, and not to be able to distribute a tissue to well. It is Michio Okada, professor of Toyohashi University of Technology that pushes forward the development of "the weak robot" unreliable at a glance. As for the person, it is said that a feeling of the consideration is easy to be born for the existence that is weaker than oneself. If "the relations that make up for a weakness between a person and the robots, and draw a strength are managed, Director Echizenya approaches for a study of social Professor Okada who is easy to grow more".

The trash box robot which cannot pick up garbage, a robot to fidget, and not to be able to distribute a tissue to well.
It's the cute helplessness that appeals to people. "Oh look at that adorable thing, trying to do a good job. I'll just quickly help.."
I know I'm one of the ones who'd not be able to resist - also, where can I get those three chatty robots, pls, I need them <3

It's the cute helplessness that appeals to people. "Oh look at that adorable thing, trying to do a good job. I'll just quickly help.."
I know I'm one of the ones who'd not be able to resist - also, where can I get those three chatty robots, pls, I need them <3
A weak robot seems to be released in a concept with a robot having weak Toyohashi University of Technology by Panasonic.
Everyday life with NICOBO [Panasonic Official]

The Panasonic entertainment & communication started acceptance of the general selling by subscription of communication robot "NICOBO" (ニコボ) which developed "a weak robot" in a concept on March 7, 2023. I plan May 16, the same year on a sale date.

The robot which does "fart"
NICOBO is the robot that a development project started in 2017 based on thought to "want to do the heart of the person wealthily". After carrying out crowd funding in Makuake in 2021, I achieved 10 million yen of the aim support amount of money from application acceptance start in several hours.

As for the size of the body which does not include a protrusion (tail), 228mm *176*236mm, weight are about 1.5 kg. It is about 4-7 time in a charge time in about 3.5-4.5 time at drive time. The color variations are 3 patterns of the "stone gray" "smoke navy" "shell pink".
  • The basic plan that the body price of NICOBO provides services of the function update for 60,500 yen (tax-included) is 1,100 yen (same as above). Furthermore, I provide repair of NICOBO and customer service "NICOBO CLINIC" maintaining. As for the service contents, it is three kinds of "NICOBO dock service" and "the knit exchange service" to diagnose the presence of the bad point "NICOBO treatment service" to repair the disorder of the moving part of NICOBO. When I join "NICOBO care plan" (monthly basis 550 yen), constant degree can reduce the charge of these services.

Back
Top Bottom