What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Reuters reporter documents what it is like arriving at Narita

Buntaro

運動不足
Reaction score
What "hard quarantine" looks like at Tokyo 2020

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
That doesn't seem too hard, considering they're allowed to leave the room to go get breakfast. Good that there's at least some testing and metrics taken, but considering they were tested prior to arrival, this seems barely more than security theater. I wonder how their testing and contact tracing protocols are going for the general public... last I heard they were only at about a 10% vaccination rate, which would give me pause regarding the olympics.

Jezinn

Kouhai
Contributor
Reaction score
My issue about this, is it was clearly known that the Olympics was going to happen. I don't understand how there wasn't a much earlier mass vaccination push in Japan and especially the Tokyo area. In contrast, other industrialized countries that don't have the Olympics: 1) Have reached over 60% vaccinated. 2) Have an electronic system to show who got vaccinated. 3) Are talking about going back to normal and no masks.

But in Japan, the situation will be that only a low percentage of the population (and particularly in Tokyo) is vaccinated, while arrivals from all over the world with possibly harboring new variants of coronavirus come. Instead of being a fun big party, it's going to be lots of fear, hiding, and masks.

It will be plain luck, that the Olympics won't become super spreader event.

Top Bottom