What's new

Resource for looking at similar-looking kanji

J44xm

経験値が足りない
6 Dec 2004
Hi, folks. I'm trying to find a good website that lists kanji that are quite similar and, thus, easily confused. I think that that would be pretty beneficial for helping to quickly distinguish such kanji and in remembering them in the first place. Does anyone know of such a resource?

I, and a few others, like the Heisig method (Rembering the Kanji, also available at Amazon Japan, but it's an older version that has some errors) for studying kanji, because you work from small parts and build up characters, which trains you to look at kanji in a whole new way, so that the similar-looking ones don't really cause much of a problem (unless you just get lazy and aren't paying attention). That is, 賃 and 貨 look pretty different to me, as much as 任 and 化 do. Same with things like 募, 幕, 墓, 暮, etc. I see them as being 莫+力, 莫+巾, 莫+土, and 莫+日, respectively, so they're pretty different to me.

Thanks for the recommendation, Glenn. I assume that it's essentially a radical-based method?

Yes and no. I mean, he does use the radicals, but also assigns meanings to pieces that aren't radicals, like the above-mentioned 莫. So, every part of every character gets a meaning, and you use those meanings to build up new characters. The introduction lays out the method, and you also get the first 250 frames, so you can see how it works.

Sounds pretty interesting, I must say. I'll check it out. Many thanks!

Also, if anyone has any online recommendations, I'm still open for suggestions. :)

Back
Top Bottom