What's new

Requesting Help Translating Kanji

coral99

後輩
16 Jun 2014
Hello,

I would like to request help translating the kanji on the tang from a Japanese sword. There are kanji on both sides of the tang. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Matt

1.jpg
2.jpg

Matt

Not entirely sure of the first line on the left picture, but something close to
以日東特殊囗会社不銹鋼之作
守道
Nittō Tokushu ? Kaisha fushūkō wo motte kore wo tsukutta
Morimichi (kaō)

Right picture
前田氏
昭和十三年五月吉日
Maeda-shi
Shōwa Jūsan-nen Gogatsu Kichijitsu

Made with Nittō Special stainless steel
Morimichi

(for) Mr. Maeda
Shōwa 13, May, auspicious day

This would likely be a naval stainless steel (anti-rust) blade made in the late 30's by swordsmith Morimichi. I have never seen this exact inscription. I can't find any reference to this company (Nittō). My translation of the first bit could be throwing me off, but for sure this is an anti rust blade from the 1930's.

Thanks very much for taking the time to translate and share. This is very helpful and more than anticipated. I had no idea it was stainless steel.

The poster and site admin named Toritoribe may be able to read the ones that are unreadable to me. If not, you can also post this to the Nihonto Message Board, which is a forum dedicated to Japanese swords (including militaria). There are some people on there would might find this sword very interesting.

I think the first one is 以日本特殊鋼会社不銹鋼之作. The 6th kanji is different from 鋼 in 不銹鋼, but a company 日本特殊鋼 really made 不銹鋼.

Back
Top Bottom